[comp.os.minix] New newsgroup?

gdtltr@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Gary D Duzan) (10/26/88)

   I may be out of line, but wouldn't it make sense for someone to set up a
comp.sources.minix newsgroup? This way users wouldn't have to pick through
all the messages to find the stuff or wait until it made it to an archive
somewhere. I don't know the first thing about setting up newsgroups, so I
really don't know what I am talking about. Who runs these things anyway?

					Gary Duzan
					Time  Lord
				    Third Regeneration

awm@gould.doc.ic.ac.uk (Aled Morris) (10/28/88)

Eventually the MINIX group will need to be split up, so let me suggest
now:
	comp.os.minix		general discussion
	comp.os.minix.pc	specific to the pc
	comp.os.minix.st	specific to the st
	comp.sources.minix	for source code contributions
and eventually
	comp.os.minix.wizards
	comp.os.minix.questions
and, of course,
	comp.std.minix		(big :-)

Setting up the source directory is a worthwhile first step.  I would be
more interested in comp.os.minix.st myself, because I can see that all
the patches (and what have you) for the different kernels in existence
are going to get mixed up all over the place.

Aled Morris
systems programmer

    mail: awm@doc.ic.ac.uk    |    Department of Computing
    uucp: ..!ukc!icdoc!awm    |    Imperial College
    talk: 01-589-5111x5085    |    180 Queens Gate, London  SW7 2BZ

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (11/01/88)

In article <AWM.88Oct28160721@gould.doc.ic.ac.uk> awm@gould.doc.ic.ac.uk (Aled Morris) writes:

>Eventually the MINIX group will need to be split up, so let me suggest
>now:
>	comp.os.minix		general discussion
>	comp.os.minix.pc	specific to the pc
>	comp.os.minix.st	specific to the st
>	comp.sources.minix	for source code contributions
>and eventually
>	comp.os.minix.wizards
>	comp.os.minix.questions
>and, of course,
>	comp.std.minix		(big :-)

It is not obvious that this will eventually happen.  The usual criteron
for splitting a group is volume of traffic.  I've heard that people
consider 30 messages a day the point where something ought to be split.

I suspect that if we split it now into pc & atari, an awful lot of stuff
will be cross posted to both, or worse yet, not crossposted when it should
be.  Anything relating to the commands, lib, tools, test, and doc directories
applies to both systems, and most of FS and MM as well.  Only the kernel
directory is really different.  I'd rather not have a situation where a
person with an Atari makes some useful contribution to a user command and
posts it only to the atari group, because he/she has no interest in PCs.
Of course we could also have comp.os.minix.all, but having a lot of groups
with an average of 1 message per day is not all that useful.
The only split that might be useful in the foreseeable future is putting
code (both new submissions and cdifs) somewhere separate from talk,
primarily to make it easier to find.  I'm inclined to wait and see how
much influence MINIX-ST has.  It may be that the number of Atari users is
small compared to PC users, and thus has little effect.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

ARIE%HDETUD53.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Arie Baas) (11/02/88)

                                                                       24/10/88
HELP: Request for information regarding upgrade Minix 1.1 --> 1.2

W.H.R.Beekman & A.N.T.v.d.Zalm,  Dept. Mathematics & Computer Science, TU Delft

Through the course in 'Small Operating Systems', we have been given the task
of upgrading Minix 1.1 to 1.3 through version 1.2. To do this, we've received
diskettes with update files. However, the 1.1 to 1.2 upgrade already seems
impossible in the first place, while (we think) we're missing at least a few
files with new commands and probably also updates on some malfunctioning 1.1
drivers.

The upgrades 1.1 --> 1.2 have been given to us in the following files:

MINIX.SH-1   and MINIX.SH-2     (the new shell)
MINIX.UP1-C1 and MINIX.UP1-C2   (diff files to 1.1 commands)
MINIX.UP1-L1 and MINIX.UP1-L2   (diff files to 1.1 library)

In a separate text file PACKAGE.UP2 (the Manifest 1.1 --> 1.2) we found a
different overview of files, which would also include new commands, besides
the diff's. These would be the following files (according to the manifest):

MINIX.SH-1    and MINIX.SH-2        (new shell)
MINIX.UP2-1   to  MINIX.UP2-6       (diff's 1.1 --> 1.2)
MINIX.UP2-NEW and MINIX.UP2-NEW2    (new 1.2 commands)

We are not familiar, however, with the contents of the latter files, so
we don't know how MINIX.UP1-C1/C2/L1/L2 correspond with the MINIX.UP2-1 to 6
files. However, with our present upgrade files, we certainly miss the new
commands CPDIR, DIFF, DU, EXPR, FDISK, FIND, FIX, PRINTENV, READFS, UUDECODE
and UUENCODE. Without FIX we cannot make the initial upgrade and furthermore,
we suppose there are updates to certain drivers, among which the terminal,
printer and especially the hard disk.

Would you perhaps be able to tell us where we can find the complete set of
updates 1.1 --> 1.2 or the missing files with respect to our current
incomplete updates, and possibly an overview of which files ought to be
where (in what directory) under Minix 1.2?

If you could, we'd appreciate it very much, for at the moment it is not
possible for us to upgrade Minix 1.1.

Thanks already!

Leisner.Henr@xerox.com (marty) (11/03/88)

I definitely think the Minix groups should be split into a discussion group
and a sources group.

Most of the sources should be relevant to all versions of minix except at
the deivce driver level.

marty
ARPA:	leisner.henr@xerox.com
GV:  leisner.henr
NS:  martin leisner:wbst139:xerox
UUCP:  nsc!nscimg!amps!marty, hplabs!arisia!leisner

wes@myth.UUCP (Wes Peters) (11/10/88)

In article <5140@louie.udel.EDU>, Leisner.Henr@xerox.com (marty) writes:
> I definitely think the Minix groups should be split into a discussion group
> and a sources group.

Perhaps keeping comp.os.minix for discussion and arguments :-), and a new
comp.sources.minix for sources to be posted in?  Discussion, please,
everyone - is this a) a good idea; b) a great idea; c) a waste of time
and net resources; or d) a crock.  I'd like to be able to read about
Minix without wading through sources all the time, and to be able to
archive sources without wading through irrelevant discussion.
(Derogatory comments about irrelevant sources > device 1,3 :-)

> Most of the sources should be relevant to all versions of minix except at
> the deivce driver level.

Except all the humongous programs use ST owners can create, since we
don't have segments!  I hope this doesn't become a problem, but I
wouldn't let it stop me from completing a program if there is a reason
for not breaking it up.

--

	Sorry, my .signature file got left on Obie!

		(Replies to wes@obie.UUCP)