[comp.os.minix] MINIX networking and TCP/IP

CS_RATH@uta.edu (Omkar Rath) (11/10/88)

Dear MINIX mailwatchers,
	This is a personal query and those not interested plese delete
and read on.
	I had my first exposure to MINIX while taking an o/s course
at UT Arlington, Tx.  I got interested and put myself in the mailing
list.  I see that MINIX has been upgraded to 1.3 from 1.1 (which is
what I have got).  Not only that I see people writing code for "kermit"
etc. for the MINIX.  And a few days ago I saw a message (many of you'll
must also have seen) about 'Networking performance of MINIX' by none other
than Andy Tanenbaum himself.  I believe that Dr.Tanenbaum has already
come up with a distributed MINIX somewhat similar to his AMOEBA dist. o/s.
Now my questions.
  1.   Has the o/s for MINIX been updated from scratch to incorporate
network calls or has some software like TCP/IP for IBM/PC/XT/AT has been
interfaced with the MINIX system?
  2.   Is there such a software package available at all? ( I heard of some
DOS based TCP/IP or PC/IP existed - this isnt the one or is it?)
  3.   Is this the proper forum to address such queries?
Thanks in advance for all who take time to reply.

Omkar Rath.
cs_rath@uta.edu
off tel: (817)-794-5137

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (11/10/88)

In article <5277@louie.udel.EDU> CS_RATH@uta.edu (Omkar Rath) writes:
>  1.   Has the o/s for MINIX been updated from scratch to incorporate
>network calls or has some software like TCP/IP for IBM/PC/XT/AT has been
>interfaced with the MINIX system?
MINIX 1.3 includes a Remote Procedure Call (RPC) based networking with
a simple remote login, remote execution, file transfer etc.  It is based
on the client-server model that most modern distributed operating systems
use, not on TCP/X.25/OSI sliding window protocols.

>  2.   Is there such a software package available at all? ( I heard of some
>DOS based TCP/IP or PC/IP existed - this isnt the one or is it?)
The RPC code is part of 1.3, including all the source code.

>  3.   Is this the proper forum to address such queries?
Yes.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)