[comp.os.minix] Problem with pr command on ATARI

bds@lzaz.ATT.COM (B.SZABLAK) (11/03/88)

Well, with all the discussion about portable code, I thought I throw in
a fix to pr.c that will make it work with columns:
	pr -t -5 file
bombs on my system.

The problem is caused by the code assuming that malloc'ed memory is
zeroed at a point that it does free's on LBUF(line,column).
The simplest fix is to change all references
to malloc() with references to calloc() (adding a second parameter:
sizeof(char)), but a more efficient fix is to check to see if LBUF has
been initialized...

Unfortunately, I can't give a diff listing as I've haven't been able
to get MINIX to talk to the outside world yet (the tos program has
definite problems writing to a TOS file system; none reading one though).

By the way, anyone have a problem with date? Setting the date on boot
up works fine; setting the date a second time (some people make mistakes
the first time) results in the date being advanced 24 hours from the
time entered. Very curious...

james_jim_woomer@cup.portal.com (11/05/88)

>Unfortunately, I can't give a diff listing as I've haven't been able
>to get MINIX to talk to the outside world yet (the tos program has
>definite problems writing to a TOS file system; none reading one though).

I've had problems writing to a TOS file also .. but only on my hard disk..
writing to a tos file on ether of my single sided floppys seems to work
just fine.

Also, I have not been able to get the boot image file to execute from
the hard disk.  I use rflop to create it to a hard disk file as outlined in
the manual and click on minix.prg. I get an error message stating something
to the effect "minix image not the correct format".  Any help out there?

Other than the above everything else seems to be going OK.

jack@csmunix.larc.nasa.gov (Jack Dunn) (11/09/88)

I have had the same problem with booting MINIX from an image file.
I have tried booting from floppys with the same error message.
My orignal coclusion was that the problem was with the BMS controler
I have rather that an Atari.

As for the first problem, I have not tried anything with the tos command
except for the -d option.

new subject. With the stuff that came with the Atari Minix there
was a card from PH asking if I wanted the updates for $29.95 US.
The question is, is this the update that ast has been talking about,
and are the for both the ST and PC versions?

Jack Dunn

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (11/10/88)

In article <5257@louie.udel.EDU> jack@csmunix.larc.nasa.gov (Jack Dunn) writes:
With the stuff that came with the Atari Minix there
>was a card from PH asking if I wanted the updates for $29.95 US.
>The question is, is this the update that ast has been talking about,
>and are the for both the ST and PC versions?

I don't know precisely what P-H means either.  I had discussed updates with
them and I guess they decided to put that on the card.  There are certainly
no updates planned for the Atari at the moment.  All I can imagine that they
are going to do is build a mailing list from those cards, so that if and when
there is an update, people on the list will receive an order card for it, or
something like that.  I really don't see what else they can do.  Also, I
can't see how they can set a price when they don't know how many disks an
update will be.  Although the blank diskettes are cheap, the price they
have to pay for disk reproduction, labeling, box manufacturing, assembly,
is non negligible and depends on the number of disks.  The upgrade kit for
1.1 and 1.2 users of MINIX-PC is 6 disks (5 sources, 1 with compiler binaries),
and probably will cost somewhat more than $29.95.  I don't think they
realized how extensive the changes would be.  They were probably thinking
in terms of a 500 page book with a 1 page errata sheet, not an 8 disk
software package with a 6 disk update.

Conclusions:
  1. If you are interested in future upgrades, send in the card.
  2. Don't expect any upgrades for a year or so.  There might be one
     when MINIX-PC does to 1.4, though.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

james_jim_woomer@cup.portal.com (11/11/88)

<I have had the same problem with booting MINIX from an image file.
<I have tried booting from floppys with the same error message.
<My orignal coclusion was that the problem was with the BMS controler
<I have rather that an Atari.

I haven't really spent much time tracing the source of the problem, Although
when I stopped fooling with it my feeling - it was copying the minix.img
from TOS.  I finally managed a work-around by using the minix command dd to
copy the image from the boot diskette.  What ever caused the problem messed
up the n or the n-2 value in the file.  The minix.prg looks to see if they
are the same and after copying from TOS their not.   Anyway its well worth
whatever trouble to be able to boot from TOS.

jim woomer