[comp.os.minix] Minix Manual for the Atari ST

mpsimon@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (M. Patrick Simon) (11/13/88)

I have found what I think are 2 typos/omissions in the Minix Manual for the
Atari ST. I am not a unix expert, in any sense of the word, so if anyone
can see that my corrections are incorrect, please post it.

1. In the section on using double-sided diskettes, at the bottom of page 10,
after the file system is made on dd0, you need to mount it (at least that
is the way it is done on p.9). After the last line on p.10, add the line

# /etc/mount /dev/dd0 /user

2. In the section on How to use Minix ST, the method of creating a TOS
compatible sector 0 on a minix floppy is unclear as to when this operation is
allowed/required -- can I do this any time, or only immediately after the
mkfs command is executed for that disk? Also, the two lines that begin with
"# dd" in the middle of p.17 should have the phrase "count=1" appended at
the end of the line. The current lines attempt to copy an entire floppy, not
just the first 512 bytes.

i.e. replace "# dd if=/dev/dd0 of=/tmp/sec0"
with         "# dd if=/dev/dd0 of=/tmp/sec0 count=1"

--Patrick Simon          mpsimon@phoenix.princeton.edu    11-12-88

johan@nlgvax.UUCP (Johan Stevenson) (11/14/88)

In article <4398@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> mpsimon@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (M. Patrick Simon) writes:

	>I have found what I think are 2 typos/omissions in the Minix Manual for the
	>Atari ST.
	>
	>1. In the section on using double-sided diskettes, at the bottom of page 10,
	>after the file system is made on dd0, you need to mount it (at least that
	>is the way it is done on p.9). After the last line on p.10, add the line
	>
	># /etc/mount /dev/dd0 /user

In my paper AND electronic copy of the manual this command is
there.  So far I have not received my copy of the official
version from Prentice-Hall, so I cannot tell whether something
went wrong during reproduction. Anyway, the mount command must
follow mkfs.

	>2. In the section on How to use Minix ST, the method of creating a TOS
	>compatible sector 0 on a minix floppy is unclear as to when this operation is
	>allowed/required -- can I do this any time, or only immediately after the
	>mkfs command is executed for that disk?

You may do it anytime after the mkfs, and before use under TOS.
MINIX will not use or modify sector 0, except mkfs clears it.

	>Also, the two lines that begin with
	>"# dd" in the middle of p.17 should have the phrase "count=1" appended at
	>the end of the line. The current lines attempt to copy an entire floppy, not
	>just the first 512 bytes.
	>
	>i.e. replace "# dd if=/dev/dd0 of=/tmp/sec0"
	>with         "# dd if=/dev/dd0 of=/tmp/sec0 count=1"

You are right. BOTH 'dd' lines on page 17 have to be fixed
that way. Thanks for the warning.

--
Johan W. Stevenson	johan@pcg.philips.nl		Philips Research

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (11/17/88)

In article <153@nlgvax.UUCP> johan@nlgvax.UUCP (Johan Stevenson) writes:
>In my paper AND electronic copy of the manual this command is
>there.  So far I have not received my copy of the official
>version from Prentice-Hall, so I cannot tell whether something
>went wrong during reproduction. Anyway, the mount command must
>follow mkfs.
I have both the electronic and paper copies too.  I was the one who printed
the manual (I have more pixels than Johan) although he was the one who wrote
it.  I also have the P-H manual.  Thus I am somewhat flummoxed by the fact
that the mount is in the file and in my paper copy, but not in the printed
manual.  I suspect the problem has to do with the fact that it is on the bottom
line of the page, and they probably have some kind of a mask for making a
uniform margin.  In any event, it is not there and it should be.

If people have found more errors in the manual, please post them and Johan and
I will try to get the manual fixed.

Incidentally, the fact that Johan hasn't gotten his copy is noteworthy.
(a) P-H has a contractual, legal, obligation to send each author 6 copies, and
(b) I specifically called up the editor in charge and asked him to send Johan
his copies.  Conclusion: when they quote you 2 week delivery time and sometimes
delivery in 3 days and sometimes in 4 months, they aren't being mean.  They are
just a big company, and big companies are often confused.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)