[comp.os.minix] Let's split comp.os.minix

roberto@cwi.nl (Rob ten Kroode) (11/15/88)

I know that this subject has been discussed before, but now that
the 68000 version of minix is finally available, I think that
we should split comp.os.minix.
My proposition:
comp.os.minix.[intel/pc]
comp.os.minix.68k

There are about as much postings about the pc version, as there are
about the 68000 version. 50% of the postings are not related to your
hardware, so I think that it is reasonable to split this group.
General problems, questions, etc. could be cross-posted to the two
new groups.
I think that a seperate sources group is not (yet) desirable,
there simply are not enough source postings.

Perhaps it is not such a bad idea to start a vote to see what we
readers would like.
Opinions/flames/remarks are welcome !

Rob.

--
Rob ten Kroode (roberto@cwi.nl)   | rule #1 : I am _always_ right.
                                  | rule #2 : If I am not right, apply rule #1.
"I'm your icecream man; stop me when I'm passin' by..."  Van Halen

gdtltr@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Gary D Duzan) (11/15/88)

   I think 3 groups would be best: comp.os.minix.pc, comp.os.minix.68k (or
.st if no other 68k machines are going to be included), and
comp.sources.minix. Sources probably won't get a whole lot of traffic, so as
long as the subject line is specific one should suffice.

					Gary Duzan
					Time  Lord
				    Third Regeneration
				 Atari Enthusiast Extreme

rob@dhw68k.cts.com (Robert Kenyon) (11/16/88)

Consider this a vote.  It's a little difficult to separate things without
a program.  I like STs but I had to settle for a PC.  I would appreciate
it if it were not rubbed in my face.

				Rob

--
Help! I'm trapped in an IBM PC!!!!!       !!!!!!CP MBI na ni deppart m'I !pleH
Robert Kenyon - {trwrb,hplabs}!felix!dhw68k!rob - InterNet: rob@dhw68k.cts.com

chasm@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (11/17/88)

In article <15339@dhw68k.cts.com>, rob@dhw68k.cts.com (Robert Kenyon) writes:
> Consider this a vote.  It's a little difficult to separate things without
> a program.  I like STs but I had to settle for a PC.  I would appreciate
> it if it were not rubbed in my face.
>
> 				Rob

And in addition to the fact that I have one foot in both worlds (so I save
time reading stuff only once), splitting the newsgroups will inevitably lead
to splitting the operating system:  today Minix ST is very much like Minix PC
and I think that is a very GOOD THING.  Some drifting will occur, but a common
newsgroup is valuable glue between the two communities.

Charles Marslett
STB Systems, Inc       <== apply all standard disclaimers
Wordmark Systems       <== my Atari half
chasm@killer.dallas.tx.us