[comp.os.minix] how to use cdiff or diff listings

amra@polaris.cis.ohio-state.edu (Nasir K Amra) (11/18/88)

I am patiently waiting for my copy of ST MINIX. What thing that I
don't understand is how does one use cdiff or diff listing to repair
or correct source files? Can this be done automatically or does this
have to done by hand?

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (11/19/88)

In article <27820@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> amra@polaris.cis.ohio-state.edu (Nasir K Amra) writes:
>I am patiently waiting for my copy of ST MINIX. What thing that I
>don't understand is how does one use cdiff or diff listing to repair
>or correct source files? Can this be done automatically or does this
>have to done by hand?

There is a program written by Larry Wall called patch that accepts the
original file and cdiffs and produces a repaired file.  That program is
not part of MINIX-ST, but no doubt there is some ST hacker who will port it.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

%
%There is a program written by Larry Wall called patch that accepts the
%original file and cdiffs and produces a repaired file.  That program is
%not part of MINIX-ST, but no doubt there is some ST hacker who will port it.
%
%Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

This has already been done... I got my copy from Jwahar Bammi,
(bammi@dsrgsun.ces.cwru.edu) compiled with GCC for Minix. Works pretty well.

--
  /
 /_ , ,_.                      Howard Chu

bammi@dsrgsun.ces.cwru.edu (Jwahar R. Bammi) (11/21/88)

Larry Walls patch for MinixST is available for anonymous FTP from
dsrgsun.ces.cwru.edu (129.22.16.2). in the directory ~ftp/pub/minix
file patch.tar.Z. The distribution contains the executable file. To
compile the sources you will need the Gnu Gcc V1.30 distribution for
MinixST also available there.
usenet: {decvax,sun}!cwjcc!dsrgsun!bammi	jwahar r. bammi
csnet:       bammi@dsrgsun.ces.CWRU.edu
arpa:        bammi@dsrgsun.ces.CWRU.edu
compuServe:  71515,155