[comp.os.minix] Minix on IBM/PS

flibedin@opta.cl (Fernando Libedinsky) (11/09/88)

	I'm very interested in running Minix in the IBM PS computers. I think
it should be ported, has someone did the Job ? if not I'll be very happy
to receive suggestions about how to do it.

	Please reply by e-mail,

	Fernando Libedinsky
	UUCP: flibedin@opta.cl
		...!uunet!uchdcc!flibedin

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (11/16/88)

In article <4212@opta.cl> flibedin@opta.cl (Fernando Libedinsky) writes:

>	I'm very interested in running Minix in the IBM PS computers.

One of my students has ported MINIX to the PS/2.  The biggest remaining
problem seems to be the hard disk driver, which is different on all
models of the PS/2.  That is why I wrote the BIOS driver.  If there are
people who want to be guinea pigs for the PS/2 version, let me know. It
is finished now and available for testing.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (11/22/88)

As quoted from <4212@opta.cl> by flibedin@opta.cl (Fernando Libedinsky):
+---------------
| 	I'm very interested in running Minix in the IBM PS computers. I think
| it should be ported, has someone did the Job ? if not I'll be very happy
| to receive suggestions about how to do it.
+---------------

(Yes, I know it said respond by email, but he's not the only interested one.)

Due to some recent problems with ncoast and other systems, I am only just
now getting to test the latest 1.3 kernel on a PS/2; the test will happen
tomorrow on a Model 50, and I'll post the results tomorrow night.

The standard {xt,at}_wini will NOT work with a Model 50, although at_wini
apparently works on a Model 30.  The kernel I'm testing has the bios_wini
driver just posted by ast; we shall see tomorrow if it works on a PS/2-50.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, comp.sources.misc moderator and one admin of ncoast PA UN*X
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery  <PREFERRED!>	    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (11/24/88)

In article <13164@ncoast.UUCP> allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
>The standard {xt,at}_wini will NOT work with a Model 50, although at_wini
>apparently works on a Model 30.  The kernel I'm testing has the bios_wini
>driver just posted by ast; we shall see tomorrow if it works on a PS/2-50.

I have managed to run this test too, and it failed.  When reading in the
file system, FS hung.  My testing requires three machines in two cities
and is rather awkward.  Is there anyone out there who has a PS/2 model 50
or higher and a regular PC or AT on which MINIX works close together who
could help debug this?  I suspect that if anyone could make a binary, boot it,
observe the print out, change the printing, and repeat, we could find the
problem in a few hours, but my current turnaround is about 3-4 days per
debug run.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)