[comp.os.minix] bios_wini.c on Zenith Z-248 and Z-150

cox%v70nl.decnet@nusc.arpa (V70NL::COX) (11/15/88)

I've tried the new bios_wini.c winchester drive on both a Zenith Z-248 and
a Zenith Z-150 without success.  In both cases, I received a message that
the winchester partition table could not be read.  The Z-248 uses a 20MB
Miniscribe drive and Zenith controller, both standard with this system.
The Z-150 is using a 30MB Seagate ST-238 with an RLL controller.  I usually
use the standard xt_wini.c on the Z-150, the only change being 25 instead of
17 sectors per track.  Both systems are running Zenith's MS-DOS 3.20 under
which the hard disks were formatted and partitioned.  I did not use the minix
fdisk program for partitioning.

I haven't had a chance to examine code and figure out what's happening.  I'm
curious about what Andy's Z-248 disk and partitioning configuration is since
that system seems to work.

        - Bob Cox  (cox@nusc.arpa)

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (11/17/88)

In article <5422@louie.udel.EDU> cox%v70nl.decnet@nusc.arpa (V70NL::COX) writes:
>I'm curious about what Andy's Z-248 disk and partitioning configuration is since
>that system seems to work.

I have a Z-248 with a standard Zenith controller (I am not sure which).  I
have two Seagate ST225 drives.  Drive 0 has four partitions, 3 of which are
for MINIX.  Drive 1 has 1 20 MB MINIX partition.

I have received a couple of reports about bios_wini.c, mostly negative.  It
seems to be flakey, crash, etc.  Not so great for a universal driver.  Do we
have a BIOS expert out there who could take a good look at bios_wini.c and see
what's wrong?

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (11/25/88)

Speaking of bios_wini.c...  I daresay people are waiting for my report on
the PS/2 version with the bios_wini module.  Unfortunately, ncoast's serial
ports have been acting flaky over the past few weeks; as a result, I have
yet to download the boot image successfully to my PC.  I'm hoping that the
latest attempted fix (last night) will have solved the problem so that I can
download the freaking thing and test it tomorrow.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, comp.sources.misc moderator and one admin of ncoast PA UN*X
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery  <PREFERRED!>	    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu