[comp.os.minix] 68K minix

sampson@killer.UUCP (Steve Sampson) (05/08/88)

Here's a dumb question(s):

	1. Will the 68k version be available on MSDOS disks?
	2. How about it?
	3. I'm interested in using it for another machine and
	   will entertain any offers of getting it in that form.

Thanks a bunch, Steve.

cjeffery@arizona.edu (Clinton Jeffery) (05/08/88)

From article <4010@killer.UUCP>, by sampson@killer.UUCP (Steve Sampson):
> 	1. Will the 68k version (minix...) be available on MSDOS disks?

I too would be very interested in seeing such a distribution.  For that
matter, are the PC versions available in MSDOS format, or can one only
get them in (minix,xinu) format?  Also:

Would some soul(s) *EMAIL* me a brief rundown on comparative features of
Minix and Xinu?  How do their models differ?  Their interprocess
communication?  Performance on normal applications?  Completeness of
the standard unix tool sets?

Why are both distributions $80, and both books over $40?
These prices have prevented me from trying either minix or xinu,
and if I *do* try one I have to be darned sure to get the better one...
--

In article ... comer@PURDUE.EDU.UUCP (presumably Douglas Comer) writes:
>   >>	Would some soul(s) *EMAIL* me a brief rundown on comparative features of
>   >>	Minix and Xinu?  How do their models differ?  Their interprocess
>   >>	communication?  Performance on normal applications?  Completeness of
>   >>	the standard unix tool sets?

> Briefly, Minix is a minature version 7 (circa 1978) UNIX system; Xinu is an
> entirely new, hierarchically structures operating system with only small
> resemblence to UNIX internally.

Minix is a message-passing operating system that has little resemblance
to UNIX internally. The external interface is modelled on Version 7 UNIX.
The internal model is similar to the ADA "Rendezvous". I personally don't
care for this, as it doesn't give you the performance of raw coroutines and
doesn't give you the security of a queued-message system, but saying it's
similar to UNIX is just not true.

> They don't even attempt to do the same things.

They seem to have similar design goals to me. They're both toy operating
systems for teaching purposes.

> Xinu tries to illustrate new operating system
> concepts including networking protocols. Minix

... tries to provide a small operating system to
teach operating system concepts.

> Minix runs on PCs;
> Xinu runs on PCs, Vaxen, PDP11s, SUNs, National 32000s, etc.  Go to your
> library and look at the two texts.

Good idea.

I know you're fond of your baby, and I think it's a really neat system
too. I just think that you're being a little quick to dismiss Minix as
just a UNIX clone.
--
-- Peter da Silva      `-_-'      ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- "Have you hugged your U wolf today?" ...!bellcore!tness1!sugar!peter

GVAEB@isuvax.bitnet (tony bible, iowa state university) (10/31/88)

when andrew tanenbaum formally announced atari minix he stated that he thought
it would not be too difficlut to port it to a mactintosh or other 68000 based
machines.  my questions are:  since i do not have access to an atari how do i
get a macinstosh readable disk?  and, the pink card in the back of "THE BOOK"
offers minix sources on 9-trk mag tape; does this apply to the atari version
also?  or does anyone have a phone number for someone in Prentice-Hall i can
call to find out?  thanks.

tony bible

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (11/01/88)

In article <5089@louie.udel.EDU> GVAEB@isuvax.bitnet (tony bible, iowa state university) writes:
>when andrew tanenbaum formally announced atari minix he stated that he thought
>how do iget a macinstosh readable disk?  and,
>the pink card in the back of "THE BOOK"
>offers minix sources on 9-trk mag tape; does this apply to the atari version
>also?  or does anyone have a phone number for someone in Prentice-Hall i can
>call to find out?  thanks.

I am not much of a Macintosh expert, but the Atari disks are standard 720K
3.5 inch disks.  If you take the program readfs, compile it on the macintosh
with any C compiler, you should be able to insert an Atari diskette and
read the MINIX file system from it, since readfs can handle the 3.5 inch
disks (actually, it doesn't know or care; it just sees a linear list of
blocks).  I would think this approach should be reasonable.

An alternative approach is to hook up a PC and a Macintosh using kermit.

There is no tape version for the Atari.  Not many Ataris have 9 track tape.
(Not that many PCs do either ...)

Don't call P-H for technical support.  They won't be able to help.  Use the
newsgroup for questions, or if they are such that I am the only one who is
likely to know the answer, send me email (or Johan, as the case may be).

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

jcvw@tjalk.cs.vu.nl (Winkel van J C) (11/02/88)

The Apple Macintosh does not use the 'standard' disk recording techniques
(MFM or double density). The technique used is called 'Group Coded Recording'.
Technically it is possible for the Mac to read MFM discs because in the Mac
the 68000 does almost all disc reads/writes by itself and a special Apple-made
chip called the IWM (Incredible Woz Machine, after Steve Wozniac, its creator).
This scheme also allows to use different rotational speeds for different
cylinders of the disk, thus gaining storage capacity.

Therefor a 'standard' disk device driver cannot read a atari disk. A Mac
version of readfs would have to include a special device driver to read MFM
disks, not an easy task...
Jan Christiaan van Winkel

rmtodd@uokmax.UUCP (Richard Michael Todd) (11/03/88)

In article <1600@ast.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
>I am not much of a Macintosh expert, but the Atari disks are standard 720K
						              ^^^^^^^^
"Standards are wonderful, there are so many to choose from." (a famous quote,
usually attributed to Andy Tanenbaum(!)).
>3.5 inch disks.  If you take the program readfs, compile it on the macintosh
>with any C compiler, you should be able to insert an Atari diskette and
>read the MINIX file system from it, since readfs can handle the 3.5 inch
>disks (actually, it doesn't know or care; it just sees a linear list of
>blocks).  I would think this approach should be reasonable.
It would except that Macintoshes don't use the same disk recording scheme as
MS-DOS machines and Ataris.  MS-DOS and Atari systems use MFM, whereas
Macs use GCR (I think--anyway *not* MFM).  I don't think sticking an Atari
disk into a Mac will produce anything except garbage.  Reportedly the newest
Mac floppy drives (on the MAc IIx) do have the ability to read DOS-formatted
diskettes (presumably they threw in an MFM controller chip), so you could do
it on one of those machines, but not on most Macs.

>An alternative approach is to hook up a PC and a Macintosh using kermit.
In this case I think it's the only approach.
--
Richard Todd	Fido:1:147/1     USSnail:820 Annie Court,Norman OK 73069
Try one of these: rmtodd@chinet.uucp, rmtodd@killer.dallas.tx.us,

dlm@druhi.ATT.COM (Dan Moore) (11/04/88)

in article <1600@ast.cs.vu.nl>, ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) says:
> I am not much of a Macintosh expert, but the Atari disks are standard 720K
> 3.5 inch disks.  If you take the program readfs, compile it on the macintosh
> with any C compiler, you should be able to insert an Atari diskette and
> read the MINIX file system from it, since readfs can handle the 3.5 inch
> disks (actually, it doesn't know or care; it just sees a linear list of
> blocks).  I would think this approach should be reasonable.

	The Macintosh uses a non-standard disk format (GCR instead of
MFM) and has variable speed drives.  This prevents a standard Mac from
reading disks written by any other computer and other computers can't
read Macintosh disks without special hardware.

	Apple has just released a new drive that can read standard
3.5 inch disks (IBM, ST, etc), it is fairly expensive and I'm not sure
if it works with all Macintosh models.  Central Point sells a card for
the IBM PC that allows it to use Macintosh disks, it's about $150.
Data Pacific sells an interface box for the ST that allows the ST to
read Mac disks, it's about $270.

> An alternative approach is to hook up a PC and a Macintosh using kermit.
	This is probably the best option given the cost of the hardware
required for disk compatibility.

> Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

				Dan Moore
				AT&T Bell Labs
				Denver
				dlm@druhi.ATT.COM

greyham@ausonics.OZ (Greyham Stoney) (11/04/88)

in article <1600@ast.cs.vu.nl>, ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) says:
> I am not much of a Macintosh expert, but the Atari disks are standard 720K
> 3.5 inch disks.  If you take the program readfs, compile it on the macintosh
> with any C compiler, you should be able to insert an Atari diskette and
> read the MINIX file system from it, since readfs can handle the 3.5 inch
> disks (actually, it doesn't know or care; it just sees a linear list of
> blocks).  I would think this approach should be reasonable.

As I understand it, The Mac uses a variable speed drive to pack as much on
a 3 1/2" disk as everyone else can pack on using normal drives. Apparently
this is a major problem in getting it to read/write anything but Mac disks.
Anyone know more about this? Is there a program to read/write other format
disks (say, IBM pc 720k?); if it were possible, someone would have done it by
now.
			Greyham
--
# Greyham Stoney:      (disclaimer not necessary: I'm obviously irresponsible)
# greyham@ausonics.oz - Ausonics Pty Ltd, Lane Cove.  /* Official Sponsor */

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (11/10/88)

As quoted from <1600@ast.cs.vu.nl> by ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum):
+---------------
| I am not much of a Macintosh expert, but the Atari disks are standard 720K
| 3.5 inch disks.  If you take the program readfs, compile it on the macintosh
| with any C compiler, you should be able to insert an Atari diskette and
| read the MINIX file system from it, since readfs can handle the 3.5 inch
| disks (actually, it doesn't know or care; it just sees a linear list of
| blocks).  I would think this approach should be reasonable.
+---------------

Alas, not true unless one is lucky enough to have a IIx.  The Macintosh
floppy controller only reads and writes the so-called "Woz format" with
variable motor speeds in 5 bands of tracks.  The IIx has a hybrid controller
which can read and write standard fixed-speed-motor disks.  (The effect of
the speed change is that the density of a standard floppy gets higher the
closer the heads get to the motor spindle; this is not true (or at least not
true enough) of Mac disks.)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, comp.sources.misc moderator and one admin of ncoast PA UN*X
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery  <PREFERRED!>	    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu

In article <65@ausonics.OZ> greyham@ausonics.OZ (Greyham Stoney) writes:
>As I understand it, The Mac uses a variable speed drive to pack as much on
>a 3 1/2" disk as everyone else can pack on using normal drives. Apparently
>this is a major problem in getting it to read/write anything but Mac disks.
>Anyone know more about this? Is there a program to read/write other format
>disks (say, IBM pc 720k?); if it were possible, someone would have done it by
>now.

On older style Macs, everything is software controlled. According to the
docs in _Inside_The_Macintosh_, the MacPlus drive controls its own speed,
independent of the Mac generated signal sent over the interface. As such,
unless someone can find docs for how to program the MacPlus floppy controller,
it'll be tough going. (That's the double sided floppy. I suppose no one is
really interested in using single sided floppies any more...?)

(The MacPlus hardware is described in Inside Macintosh, volume 4. The old
style Mac hardware is decribed in volume 3.) Too bad none of these volumes
really describe the hardware in enough detail. However, it mentions that
the disks are written in much the same way as the Apple II did, which implies
a non-standard signal encoding scheme...
--
  /
 /_ , ,_.                      Howard Chu