[comp.os.minix] Very Local Network

johnc@rtmvax.UUCP (John Connin) (11/01/88)

Very Local Network.

I have a second machine (Compupro S-100 80286) which is currently collecting
dust and would like to network it to my AT-Clone.

First, has anyone ported PC-Minix to an S-100 configuration?  If so, I would
greatly appreciate any guidance in this regard.

Secondly, I am looking for an alternative to ethernet for the physical network.
Very simply, the cost of two ethernet cards (three if I get an 80386) is more
than I want to invest.

The approach that I have been contemplating is to use a SCSI bus for
the network.  Rational: 1) it should be low cost and available, 2) if not
available (eg. S-100), it should be easy to construct, 3) it is fast,
(greater than 1 megbyte /second), and 4) will support up to 8 devices.

On the down side, the physical length of the SCSI bus is limited to
approximately 20 - 30 feet.  However, my computers are and will most likely
remain near one another, so no problem.

Again, any thoughts / ideas / guidance would be greatly appreciated.

mp1@sdcc12.ucsd.EDU (Leroy Dorman) (11/03/88)

In article <2003@rtmvax.UUCP>, johnc@rtmvax.UUCP (John Connin) writes:
> Very Local Network.
> The approach that I have been contemplating is to use a SCSI bus for
> the network.  Rational: 1) it should be low cost and available, 2) if not
> (greater than 1 megbyte /second), and 4) will support up to 8 devices.

I have found many scsi host adapters (gateways) that don't
support acting as a 'target', i.e. a receiver of commands.
The Adaptec AHA-1530 (Multibus I) and AHA-1540 (PC-bus) dont'
so choose your adapter well . . .

Eric Dorman				Kirk- "Wheels, Mr. Spock"
University of California, San Diego	Spock- "A flivver, Captain"
Scripps Institution of Oceanography	    -A Piece of the Action
 siolmd!eric@sdsioa.ucsd.edu
 mp1@sdcc12.ucsd.edu  Attn: eric
 dorman@mplvax.nosc.mil  Attn: eric

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (11/08/88)

As quoted from <2003@rtmvax.UUCP> by johnc@rtmvax.UUCP (John Connin):
+---------------
| Secondly, I am looking for an alternative to ethernet for the physical network.
| Very simply, the cost of two ethernet cards (three if I get an 80386) is more
| than I want to invest.
+---------------

On a similar subject:  does there exist a SLIP interface for Minix, or
something similar?  I'd like to network my Toshiba to my ITT to move files
between them, preferably not via kermit or similar.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, comp.sources.misc moderator and one admin of ncoast PA UN*X
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery  <PREFERRED!>	    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu

Arved@cup.portal.com (Arved Guido Grass) (11/13/88)

The title of this particular thread, coupled with the recent announcement
of a 68000 version of MINIX, has got me thinking:

The Commodore Amiga 1000 and 2000 can be configured as dual-processor machine
(in both cases, an 8086 XT compatible running side-by-side with the 68000 base
Amiga).  When MINIX gets ported to the Amiga, it will open a whole new vista
insofar as networking within the same machine.

Of course, some details will have to be worked out, such as porting the curren
JANUS library over (what the Amiga uses to control the XT half, if equiped).

Unfortunately, this is beyond my level of expertise.

Yes, I also know that the MAC II series can have an 80286 processor card
installed.  Also, whoever is porting this code to the Amiga: please remember
that many Amigas are equiped with 68010s, 68020s. and 68030s, and should have
code upwardly compatible from the 68000 (not too much of a restriction,
really).
- Arved

E-mail:
1st class:  Arved@cup.portal.com
2nd class:  (uunet, pyramid, hoptoad, atari, sun, ucbvax!sun)!portal!
                   cup.portal.com!Arved

In article <12880@ncoast.UUCP> allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
>On a similar subject:  does there exist a SLIP interface for Minix, or
>something similar?  I'd like to network my Toshiba to my ITT to move files
>between them, preferably not via kermit or similar.

It probably wouldn't be too hard to port Phil Karn's KA9Q stuff over. I've
been considering this for ST-Minix, but it looks like I'll have a shot at
BSD style sockets first. (Shouldn't be too much difference between Unix
Domain sockets and pipes, eh?) Some of the socket stuff will require the
ability to check for a message without actually getting blocked waiting for
it. (E.g., for select()...)
--
  /
 /_ , ,_.                      Howard Chu

edhall@randvax.UUCP (Ed Hall) (11/30/88)

In article <494@stag.math.lsa.umich.edu>, hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu (Howard Chu) writes:
> In article <12880@ncoast.UUCP> allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
> >On a similar subject:  does there exist a SLIP interface for Minix, or
> >something similar?  I'd like to network my Toshiba to my ITT to move files
> >between them, preferably not via kermit or similar.
>
> It probably wouldn't be too hard to port Phil Karn's KA9Q stuff over. I've
> been considering this for ST-Minix, but it looks like I'll have a shot at
> BSD style sockets first. (Shouldn't be too much difference between Unix
> Domain sockets and pipes, eh?) Some of the socket stuff will require the
> ability to check for a message without actually getting blocked waiting for
> it. (E.g., for select()...)
>                      Howard Chu

I've already ported Phil Karn's KA9Q TCP/IP implementation to MINIX.
Ftp, telnet, and smtp all work just fine over SLIP, in either direction.
Since I don't have any other interfaces (e.g. ethernet) I haven't
ported to any other devices.

For those of you who aren't familiar with it, the KA9Q TCP/IP program
was originally designed for packet radio applications, and runs under
MS-DOS.  Under MINIX it runs as a single user process, and requires
only one kernel modification (an ioctl to determine whether characters
are waiting on a tty device).  Several simultaneous telnet and/or ftp
sessions are possible (I've tried 4 with no problem).

Phil Karn's TCP/IP implementation is a good one, and I'd recommend
that anyone attempting to implement TCP/IP as a server process
under MINIX (as I am planning to do) look into it.  No sense re-
inventing the wheel!

		-Ed Hall
		edhall@rand.org
		{hplabs|sun}!sdcrdcf!randvax!edhall