[comp.os.minix] Minix 1.2 on Compaq DeskPro 386?

csrobe@icase.edu (Charles S. [Chip] Roberson) (11/27/88)

I have a Compaq 386 with the following configuration:

	80386 @ 16MHz
	80387 @ 16MHz
	1.0 Mb of memory
		Base memory		640Kb
		Add. Built-in User mem	256Kb
		Compaq Reserved mem	128Kb
		Extended Memory		  0Kb
	1 parallel interface LPT1
	1 floppy (A:) 1.2 Mb (5 1/4")
	1 Hercules Graphics Card Plus Monochrome Board
	1 Async. Comm. interface COM1 at int 4
	1 130Mb Fixed Disk Drive (C:)	Type 25

The version of minix that I have boots with a 384Kb ram disk in extended
memory (/dev/ram) which contains / /bin /etc /tmp and loads from 1.2 Mb
diskettes.

I can boot minix to the following extent:
	insert boot diskette
	<CTL><ALT><DEL>
	'=' menu screen appears
	('f' = fsck on root diskette checks out disk Okay.)
	boot root via '=' and start loading ram disk.
	close to end (or perhaps at end) of loading ram disk I get:
		Unexpected Trap:  vector >= 16
		pc = 0x688	text+data+bss = 0xBF40

Ok, now my questions:

1) Will James da Silva's lock fix (1062@killer.uucp) get me up and running?
2) Can I expect timing problems running @ 16MHz?
3) I would like to partition off 10Mb of the 130Mb disk for Minix.  Is this
   going to be a problem?
4) If I am going to have problems can anybody give me a reasonable estimate
   of how much effort will be necessary to overcome them?

Please cc copies of your replies to me since I just (5 mins ago) requested
to be added to the info-minix mailing list.

Thanks,
-c
Chip Roberson                ARPANET:  csrobe@cs.wm.edu
1328-F Mt. Vernon Ave.       BITNET:   #csrobe@wmmvs.bitnet
Williamsburg, VA 23185       UUCP:     ...!uunet!pyrdc!gmu90x!wmcs!csrobe
                             Finally:  csrobe@icase.edu

jds@mimsy.UUCP (James da Silva) (11/30/88)

In article <5675@louie.udel.EDU> csrobe@icase.edu (Charles S. [Chip] Roberson)
writes:
>I have a Compaq 386 with the following configuration:
>
>	80386 @ 16MHz
>	80387 @ 16MHz
>	1.0 Mb of memory
>		Base memory		640Kb
>		Add. Built-in User mem	256Kb
>		Compaq Reserved mem	128Kb
>		Extended Memory		  0Kb
>	1 parallel interface LPT1
>	1 floppy (A:) 1.2 Mb (5 1/4")
>	1 Hercules Graphics Card Plus Monochrome Board
>	1 Async. Comm. interface COM1 at int 4
>	1 130Mb Fixed Disk Drive (C:)	Type 25
>
>The version of minix that I have boots with a 384Kb ram disk in extended
>memory (/dev/ram) which contains / /bin /etc /tmp and loads from 1.2 Mb
>diskettes.
>I can boot minix to the following extent:
>	boot root via '=' and start loading ram disk.
>	close to end (or perhaps at end) of loading ram disk I get:
>		Unexpected Trap:  vector >= 16
>		pc = 0x688	text+data+bss = 0xBF40

According to your configuration above, you don't have any extended memory,
but the 256K `Add. Built-in User mem' probably does start at the 1M line.
Is it safe to say that the 128K `Compaq Reserved mem' is used to copy the
BIOS into Ram for speed?

I wonder how they map the copied BIOS memory to the rom addresses?  I don't
think they run the 386 in VM mode (but I'm not sure), so they probably have
special hardware that lets the ram shadow the rom.  (Anyone remember the
Apple Language Card?).  Anyway, I imagine that either Minix is being fooled
into thinking you have 384k above the 1M line when you really only have
256k, OR, you really do, and Minix is happily zapping your BIOS whilst
doing BIOS calls to copy the ram disk into extended memory.  That would
explain why it dies near the end; it works until it overwrites the BIOS
code that handles the int 15h transfer-to-extended-memory code.  Or maybe
not, who knows?.... :-)

>Ok, now my questions:
>
>1) Will James da Silva's lock fix (1062@killer.uucp) get me up and running?

No.  That fix was incorporated into Minix 1.2, so you already have it.

>2) Can I expect timing problems running @ 16MHz?

I didn't have any problems, but other people have reported timing problems
with the floppy driver.

>3) I would like to partition off 10Mb of the 130Mb disk for Minix.  Is this
> going to be a problem?

Is your disk controller IBM PC/AT compatible?  If it's an ESDI controller,
you could have big problems.

>4) If I am going to have problems can anybody give me a reasonable estimate
> of how much effort will be necessary to overcome them?

How much free time do you have? :-)

Jaime
: domain: jds@mimsy.umd.edu				     James da Silva
: path:   uunet!mimsy!jds