[comp.os.minix] Sources of Minix material

broman@schroeder.nosc.mil (Vincent Broman) (11/30/88)

I recently posted a request for information on sites that
make significant Minix material available, people that
can distribute stuff, etc.  Here is my summary, much of it coming
from Glen Overby's Minix Info Sheet.

1.  Der Tynan (dtynan@sultra.uucp) is trying to start a local (SoCal?)
Minix Users' Group and set up an anonymous uucp login.  He has
v1.3 upgrade materials and might be persuaded to exchange disks.

2.  Alan Strassberg (alan@oetl.uucp) said he would be willing to
redistribute in Northern California the version upgrade material
he has, as he gets it....  Swapping floppies?

3.  Bernie ___ (eiben@tops20.dec.com) has the Minix upgrade tar files,
cc, patch, etc, available for DEC people (addresses like *.dec.com) in
CSCMAS""::SYS$UNIX:[MINIX]*.* [and a notesfile CIMBAD::MINIX].

4.  Nick Andrew (nick@nswitgould.oz.au) runs a small BBS down under
called ZETA, on which he places archived Minix articles which
are requested by users.  Will copy small number of floppies for a
small charge.  ZETA is fidonode 3:713/602, but fidonet transmission
of large hunks of data is not foreseen.

5.  Bugs.nosc.mil has a large archive of posted Minix material,
version upgrade kits, Elle source, etc, available for anonymous FTP.
Occasionally I get persuaded to write a copy of the archive on a magtape
sent to me with a stamped return mailer.
The articles archived include everything in comp.os.minix that seemed
to me to have any lasting significance.  This includes
nearly every word descending from ast.cs.vu.nl .

6.  Wsmr-simtel20.army.mil has a limited store of Minix material
for anonymous FTP in pd:<misc.minix> .  The same stuff is
available from listserv@rpicicge.bitnet in the same directory.

7.  Glen Overby (ncoverby@plains.nodak.edu) organizes an archive of
posted articles and posted sources, available by mail from
listserv@ndsuvm1.bitnet or listserv@vm1.nodak.edu .

8.  James da Silva (jds@mimsy.umd.edu) runs the Mars Hotel BBS at
+1 301 470 3569 (PC-Pursuit-able) 300/1200/2400 bps 8/N/1.
This has archived comp.os.minix articles which are either
recent or significant, version upgrade kits, and other good stuff.

9.  James Galvin (info-minix-request@udel.edu) at one time
kept up an archive on louie.udel.edu of Minix articles and source
available for anonymous FTP and Listserv access.  He may still.

Vincent Broman,  code 632, Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA 92152, USA
Phone: +1 619 553 1641    Internet: broman@nosc.mil   Uucp: sdcsvax!nosc!broman

dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Der Tynan) (11/30/88)

In article <BROMAN.88Nov29094047@schroeder.nosc.mil>, broman@schroeder.nosc.mil (Vincent Broman) writes:

> 1.  Der Tynan (dtynan@sultra.uucp) is trying to start a local (SoCal?)
> Minix Users' Group and set up an anonymous uucp login.  He has
> v1.3 upgrade materials and might be persuaded to exchange disks.
>
> Vincent Broman

Actually, I'm in NoCal (last time I looked :-), and am having no success with
an anonymous login.  As for the BAMUG (Bay Area Minix Users Group), we had
one meeting, and will probably have another, once I get the disks back from
Thos Sumner (listening, Thos? :-).  As for the 1.3c stuff, the credit goes
to Frank Shultz and Des Young, who did the work.  They are willing to make
the disks available to people in the area, who have earlier versions of the
OS.  This is not a 'diff' set, but a complete 1.3c master distribution set.
So as such, the availability is governed by the requirement that you have
already purchased the P-H disks (1.0, 1.1 or 1.2 or whatever).  Des also
has a working copy of Elle (Ahh, how do *you* spell relief!).  Rumour has
it he is also porting KA9Q to Minix, but you didn't hear that from me :-)
						- Der
--
	dtynan@zorba.Tynan.COM  (Dermot Tynan @ Tynan Computers)
	{apple,mips,pyramid,uunet}!Tynan.COM!dtynan

 ---  If the Law is for the People, then why do we need Lawyers? ---