[comp.os.minix] fdisk problem?

usenet@ge1cbx.UUCP (Terry Lee) (12/02/88)

the fdisk on minix 1.2 seems to be bugged in that the partition numbers it
reports is incorrect, and does not correspond to /dev/hd* or anything else.

Needless to say, this situation causes stomping on other partitions.  Viva
la backups!  What finally worked is allocating the minix partition with the
minix fdisk, then using dos fdisk to find out the real partition number,
then going back to minix....

Has anyone experienced this problem?

(10mhz ARC XT, ST225 hd)

Thanks
Terry Lee

uunet!janus!merlin!terry

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (12/06/88)

In article <283@ge1cbx.UUCP> usenet@ge1cbx.UUCP (Terry Lee) writes:

>the fdisk on minix 1.2 seems to be bugged in that the partition numbers it
>reports is incorrect, and does not correspond to /dev/hd* or anything else.

Partition ordering is in the eye of the beholder.  MINIX, DOS, XENIX, PC-IX
all have different conventions which is which.  I am fairly confident
that MINIX is internally consistent though.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)