[comp.os.minix] compiling question

paula@bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) (12/22/88)

I've just recently finished converting my 1.1 sources into 1.3 sources
using the upgrade packages on bugs.nosc.mil (Thanks Vince!).  I'm now
attempting to compile the library stuff and am seeing an error that
doesn't make sense.  A representative sample is:

	"fgetc.c, line 5: fatal too many nested input texts

I'm using the 1.1 compiler and a 1.1 kernel with slight hacks (the ega
scrolling problem and something to do with floppy timing).  Fgetc.c just
includes stdio.h.  Line 5 is the start of the declaration of fgetc().
Is somebody running out of memory?  Anybody have a clue?

[Now that I've exposed my ignorance to the net, what do you want to bet
that this problem is documented somewhere?  :-) ]

Paul Allen

pallen@atc.boeing.com
...!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!bcsaic!pallen
Paul L. Allen                       | paula@boeing.com
Boeing Advanced Technology Center   | ...!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!bcsaic!paula

paula@bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) (12/23/88)

In article <9392@bcsaic.UUCP> I wrote:
>I've just recently finished converting my 1.1 sources into 1.3 sources
>using the upgrade packages on bugs.nosc.mil (Thanks Vince!).  I'm now
>attempting to compile the library stuff and am seeing an error that
>doesn't make sense.  A representative sample is:
>
>	"fgetc.c, line 5: fatal too many nested input texts

I've tracked this down to recursive macro definitions in stdio.h caused
apparently by a user error on my part.  Manually applying the diffs
produces a correct stdio.h and my compiles are now working.  Now I
wonder what else I screwed up when I applied the upgrades?

So there's no need for anyone to loose any sleep over my previous
posting!  If I can figure out how to cancell it, I will.

Paul