[comp.os.minix] Minix-PC asld problems.

tih@uunet.uu.net (01/25/89)

I keep having problems with multiple declared externals...  Every now and then
I'll get an error message from asld, and upon examination I'll find that I've
used a name for a variable or function that's also used in the library -- but
declared as static in the library module.  Never the less, recompiling the
library module with a new name for that variable or function fixes the problem
for me.  So, what's wrong with asld?  Doesn't it understand statics at all?
Or am I doing something wrong?

My library modules are compiled with commands like

	cc -F -LIB -Di8087 -S fopen.c

and I compile my own programs with commands like

	cc -F -DMINIX -c foo.c
	cc -F -DMINIX -c bar.c
	cc -i -o foo foo.s bar.s

If anyone can help me fix this problem, I'll be most grateful...

-tih

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo                                ..!mcvax!ndosl!melkart!tih
Fredrik Meltzers gt 11      Standard                 thelbekk@norunit.bitnet
N-5007 Bergen                   disclaimers            helbekkmo@nhh.uninett
NORWAY                        apply...
Phone: +47-5-960561                             MS-DOS & OS/2?  Just say NO!

petem@runx.ips.oz (Peter Mason) (01/30/89)

In article <7269@louie.udel.EDU> mcvax!melkart!tih@uunet.uu.net writes:
>I keep having problems with multiple declared externals...  Every now and then
>I'll get an error message from asld, and upon examination I'll find that I've
>used a name for a variable or function that's also used in the library -- but
>declared as static in the library module.  Never the less, recompiling the
>library module with a new name for that variable or function fixes the problem
>for me.  So, what's wrong with asld?  Doesn't it understand statics at all?
>Or am I doing something wrong?

Yes, I've noticed this too but am only at 1.1. I assumed it to have been
fixed since then. Is this true?