[comp.os.minix] 1.4: library order solved, problems with more, helpfile

hedrick@geneva.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (01/30/89)

I managed to build a new libc with all the 1.4 modules.  It turns out
that lorder and tsort work fine, as long as there are no duplicates in
the file produced by lorder.  All those loops that tsort complains
about turn out to happen when it sees the same entry twice.  This is
clearly a bug, but it's easy to work around.  Just pass the output
from lorder through sort and then uniq before giving it to tsort.

I keep tripping over the fact that Minix doesn't allow long commands.
In particular, you can't put all the .s files that belong in libc.a
into one command line.  This makes it sort of interesting to get
lorder to look at all the .s files.  Fortunately, lorder will take
libraries.  So I end up putting all the .s files into a temporary
library, and pointing lorder at it.

========

I'm glad to see the real "more" finally on Minix.  Unfortunately,
it is unacceptably slow, at least on my machine.  I've gone back
to the old one.

========

It's great to have a full set of man pages.  Unfortunately the file
was built with 80-character lines.  80 character lines cause an extra
blank line if you have enabled long lines in the console driver.  I'm
willing to fix that, though all of the fixes end up leaving the cursor
in some unintuitive place after you've printed the 80th character on a
line.  (That's why we have this behavior in the first place.)  But
even if I kludge the console driver to have the cursor do something
odd after printing the 80th character, things are going to look bad if
you scan the file in emacs.  I'd bet there is other software with this
problem as well.  Documentation really should be built with a maximum
of 79 character lines.

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (01/31/89)

In article <Jan.30.05.20.45.1989.676@geneva.rutgers.edu> hedrick@geneva.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) writes:
>I'm glad to see the real "more" finally on Minix.  Unfortunately,
>it is unacceptably slow, at least on my machine.  I've gone back
>to the old one.
Try doing chmem =16000.  That may work wonders.  A lot of programs that
use std, malloc, etc try to grab some buffer space with brk.  If that
fails they do everything one character at a time.  Once notices the
difference in performance.

>It's great to have a full set of man pages.  Unfortunately the file
>was built with 80-character lines.  80 character lines cause an extra
>blank line if you have enabled long lines in the console driver.

No fair complaining.  You were the one who wanted long lines!  I just
truncate them.  Actually, the helpfile was not really meant as a helpfile.
What I really did was update that part of the book where the man pages were.
My original file is really troff input, full of weird typesetting stuff.
I derived the helpfile by running it through nroff, and I didn't really
pay attention to the line size.  I suppose I should have, but since I
truncate lines, I didn't notice the problem.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)