[comp.os.minix] Help: minix on vax

billchu@unccvax.UUCP (Tseng Bill Chu) (02/02/89)

----------
Is there someone on the net using minix on vax as a teaching tool?
I cannot get the pc_simulator that comes with the minix distribution on
vax as described in the minix book. We have a vax8530.

I have over 30 students and only a few pc's being shared among
a large number of classes. It would be a tremendous help to allow the
students doing some of their work on the vax.

If someone has experience running minix on vax, please send me e-mail:

unccvax!billchu@mcnc.org

Thanks very much. -- Bill

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> vax as described in the minix book. We have a vax8530.
>
> Thanks very much. -- Bill

Sorry, I meant that I could not get the pc_simulator to work. I have
the source distribution together with the image of the os.

-- Bill

abc@adm.BRL.MIL (Brint Cooper) (02/02/89)

In article <1338@unccvax.UUCP> billchu@unccvax.UUCP (Tseng Bill Chu) writes:

- Is there someone on the net using minix on vax as a teaching tool?
-
-
- It would be a tremendous help to allow the
- students doing some of their work on the vax.
-
- If someone has experience running minix on vax, please send me e-mail:
-
- unccvax!billchu@mcnc.org
- Thanks very much. -- Bill

	Please, anyone who responds to Bill's request, send me your
response, too?  I'll have a similar problem in just a few weeks.

	Thanks,

_Brint

--
Brint Cooper

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (02/04/89)

>In article <1338@unccvax.UUCP> billchu@unccvax.UUCP (Tseng Bill Chu) writes:
>- Is there someone on the net using minix on vax as a teaching tool?

I must admit, I haven't used the simulator since 1.0, so I am not entirely
surprised that there are problems now.  My intuition says that the 8088
interpreter is pretty solid, but that all the new I/O stuff added since
1.0 (hard disk, AT ram disk, EGA, etc) is the source of the trouble.

Fortunately, the simulator is 100% in C, and has lots of debugging
capabilities.  Start a run up and print out, for example, every control
transfer instruction (jump, call, trap, etc) to see what it is doing and
how it got there.  I would also put a print statement in the 8088
interpreter code for the IN and OUT instructions, to see what is going on.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

P.S. If you finally get it debugged, I am interested in the bug fixes too.