[comp.os.minix] 1.3a update problems

broman@cod.NOSC.MIL (Vincent P. Broman) (09/14/88)

There are a number of sources in the commands directory missing.

AST in message 771@ast.cs.vu.nl (v1.3a posting #10) mentioned a number
of new files introduced in v1.3a, supplied a few of them in that article,
and said he thought the others were already posted.  No, they weren't.
Some were available from the original postings, but AST's copy is
different (different length).  Others were never posted.
All files mentioned in 771, and not included in that message,
need to be officially posted.  They are:
chgrp.c compress.c diskcheck.c ed.c file.c lorder.c
sed.c strings.c tsort.c tty.c whoami.c .

Updaters should notice that date.c , fix.c , pr.c , shar.c , and floppy.c
have been posted in their entireity during the same period of time
that their diffs are being posted also.  Don't try to make
any changes twice.

Message 824@ast.cs.vu.nl is somewhat confusing in that the diffs for
the fs directory got mixed in with those for the kernel directory.
I hope that no files with the same name in the two directories collided.

Vincent Broman,  code 632, Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA 92152, USA
Phone: +1 619 553 1641    Internet: broman@nosc.mil   Uucp: sdcsvax!nosc!broman

g12770@garnet.berkeley.edu (Carl Jones) (02/04/89)

> From: hedrick@geneva.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick)
> Subject: 1.4: library order solved, problems with more, helpfile
> Date: 30 Jan 89 10:20:47 GMT

> I keep tripping over the fact that Minix doesn't allow long commands.
> In particular, you can't put all the .s files that belong in libc.a
> into one command line.  This makes it sort of interesting to get
> lorder to look at all the .s files.  Fortunately, lorder will take
> libraries.  So I end up putting all the .s files into a temporary
> library, and pointing lorder at it.

I'm currently in the process of upgrading from 1.2 to 1.3 via the diffs
posted to bugs.nosc.mil. I have a kind of provisional ordering of libc.a,
(haven't got to 1.3b yet), but I would really like to get lorder and
tsort to work. I've downloaded and applied the diffs to lorder and
tsort, but when I try the commands:

   "lorder LIB >tmp",  tmp is empty.

However if I do a smaller subset of LIB, say, put all the [a-e]*.s
files into a temporary library it seems to work ok.

My other problem concerns the patch program, which I finally
managed to compile (again under the first version of the 1.3 library),
but which doesn't seem to be working right either. After running
patch, the supposedly patched file is still the same as file.c.orig.

Granted there is probably some relatively straightforward solution to
all this, I've wasted enough time on, so I thought I would ask the
net. Any hints, advice, solutions, would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Please reply via e-mail.

Carl Jones
School of Library and Information Studies
University of California, Berkeley