[comp.os.minix] HELP! ST Hard disk problems.

PRINS%HLERUL5.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Ryko Prins, CRI, Leiden, Netherlands) (02/06/89)

About two weeks ago I wrote about the problems with my new Megafile 60.
I can create a file system, but after some time it becomes corrupted:
from about a 100 blocks before the minix boot block to about 250 blocks
after were filled with hex FF's the last time I tried.
Luckily there was not yet data on the previous partition.
Two people gave a helping hand (thanks, guys - at least for trying to help)
and one of them suggested I maybe should look for a patch posted somewhere
at the end of last year which would fix a known problem with large file
systems (mine is 15K).
After two weeks of searching the December archives and the first January
archive I still haven't found the patch.
I don't dare to put Minix again on my hard disk because I am afraid that
next time it will really corrupt data on other partitions.
Therefore, I would like to ask if someone could please post me the patch
that fixes the problem with a hard disk with large partitions?

                                                Thanks in advance,
                                                        Ryko Prins.

7103_300@uwovax.uwo.ca (Eric Smith) (02/07/89)

In article <8093@louie.udel.EDU>, PRINS%HLERUL5.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Ryko Prins, CRI, Leiden, Netherlands) writes:
> About two weeks ago I wrote about the problems with my new Megafile 60.
> I can create a file system, but after some time it becomes corrupted:
[ information about problem and request for patch deleted ]

>                                                 Thanks in advance,
>                                                         Ryko Prins.

   A friend of mine had problems with a large (32K) partition on his
Megafile 60; it wasn't the same problem (his system had problems mounting
the partition), but here's the fix; you might want to try it:
*** fs/const.h.orig	Thu Nov 14 20:35:46 1988
--- fs/const.h	Thu Jan  9 20:49:48 1989
***************
*** 1,7 ****
  /* Tables sizes */
  #define NR_ZONE_NUMS       9	/* # zone numbers in an inode */
! #define NR_BUFS           20	/* # blocks in the buffer cache */
! #define NR_BUF_HASH       32	/* size of buf hash table; MUST BE POWER OF 2*/
  #define NR_FDS            20	/* max file descriptors per process */
  #define NR_FILPS          64	/* # slots in filp table */
  #define I_MAP_SLOTS        4	/* max # of blocks in the inode bit map */
--- 1,7 ----
  /* Tables sizes */
  #define NR_ZONE_NUMS       9	/* # zone numbers in an inode */
! #define NR_BUFS           40	/* # blocks in the buffer cache */
! #define NR_BUF_HASH       64	/* size of buf hash table; MUST BE POWER OF 2*/
  #define NR_FDS            20	/* max file descriptors per process */
  #define NR_FILPS          64	/* # slots in filp table */
  #define I_MAP_SLOTS        4	/* max # of blocks in the inode bit map */
-------
Eric R. Smith                      email:
Dept. of Mathematics               7103_300@uwovax.uwo.ca
University of Western Ontario      7103_300@uwovax.bitnet
London, Ont. Canada N6A 5B7    (a shared mailbox: put my name on
ph: (519) 661-3638              the Subj: line, please!)