[comp.os.minix] Ack! Where can I find a ST-minix SRC1:fs/SRCZ.a ?

cjeffery@arizona.edu (Clinton Jeffery) (02/09/89)

Yes, that's right; I managed to delete my copy of the file system
sources for ST-minix while fiddling with ar.

Has this material ever been posted to the archives?
(Diffs from PC minix 1.1 would do the trick...)
What is Prentice Hall's policy on replacing killed files?

Any and all advice greatly appreciated...
--
--

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (02/10/89)

In article <9132@megaron.arizona.edu> cjeffery@arizona.edu (Clinton Jeffery) writes:
>What is Prentice Hall's policy on replacing killed files?
The same as it is on replacing lost books.

I had considered having the distribution produced using diskettes that were
permanently write protected (i.e., a jacket with no notch in it), but this
would make it impossible to run, thus requiring you to backup the disks first.
I decided that since various copy programs might or might not work on MINIX
disks, it was better to make all the disks writable.  If there is mass
sentiment for using non-notched jackets next time, I'll do it. Notches +
write-protect tabs is not one of the options in this price range.  Neither is
a mixed solution of partly notched, partly not.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

ncoverby@ndsuvax.UUCP (Glen Overby) (02/13/89)

In article <2026@ast.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
>I had considered having the distribution produced using diskettes that were
>permanently write protected (i.e., a jacket with no notch in it), but this
>would make it impossible to run, thus requiring you to backup the disks first.
>I decided that since various copy programs might or might not work on MINIX
>disks, it was better to make all the disks writable.  If there is mass
>sentiment for using non-notched jackets next time, I'll do it. Notches +
>write-protect tabs is not one of the options in this price range.  Neither is
>a mixed solution of partly notched, partly not.

I do not see why Minix cannot run off of a set of completely write-protected
disks.  The root filesystem is loaded into the RAM disk, and there is no
reason that any other filesystems need to be written to.  The shipped
/etc/rc would have to be changed to mount the /usr disk "-r", and /usr/adm
should not exist (to keep init (or is it login?) from opening and writing to
/usr/adm/wtmp).

I havent tried any of this yet so I could easily be missing something...

Glen Overby     ncoverby@plains.nodak.edu
uunet!ndsuvax!ncoverby
ncoverby@ndsuvax (Bitnet)