[comp.os.minix] Compress, Elle, Chown problems

michaelb@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Michael L Bloxham) (02/08/89)

A few questions:

    1.) Has anyone compiled compress.c in MINIX and gotten it to
	take a chmem =64000 compress ?? I can't, even though changemem
	specifies this.

    2.) HAs anyone gotten elle compiled that can give me a few pointers.
	The Makefile is looking for a deffun.c to compile which I cannot
	find anywhere.  If there is such a thing, I don't have it...
	could someone who does have it send it my way?

    3.) Why can I not chown anything to root? I am logged in as root.
	nothing in /usr/bin can I get to root ownership unless I copy
	it out to /, delete it in /usr/bin, and copy it back in.
	Did this for login, su, df, etc.

	michaelb

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (02/08/89)

In article <813@csd4.milw.wisc.edu> michaelb@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Michael L Bloxham) writes:
>    1.) Has anyone compiled compress.c in MINIX and gotten it to
>	take a chmem =64000 compress

Just chmem =64000 compress.  If there isn't enough room, it will give
compress everything that is left and report how much it gave.  That is normal.

>    2.) HAs anyone gotten elle compiled that can give me a few pointers.
>	The Makefile is looking for a deffun.c to compile which I cannot
>	find anywhere.  If there is such a thing, I don't have it...
>	could someone who does have it send it my way?

I have not been able to compile ELLE on MINIX.  I use PC-IX still.  In fact,
ELLE compilation is the only reason I am still hanging onto my old XT.  The
ELLE makefile is somewhat complicated, but as far as I can see, deffun.c is
not needed (or even possible).  The file deffun.e is a table that provides
the key-mapping.  It, plus defprf.e are fed into ellec to make defprf.c,
which is compiled into ELLE.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

rtregn@immd3.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Robert Regn) (02/15/89)

From article <813@csd4.milw.wisc.edu>, by michaelb@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Michael L Bloxham):
					(Could not reach michaelb via mail)

> A few questions:
>
>     1.) Has anyone compiled compress.c in MINIX and gotten it to
> 	take a chmem =64000 compress ?? I can't, even though changemem
> 	specifies this.

Don't forget to use the -i flag for asld or cc!

>     3.) Why can I not chown anything to root? I am logged in as root.
> 	nothing in /usr/bin can I get to root ownership unless I copy
> 	it out to /, delete it in /usr/bin, and copy it back in.
> 	Did this for login, su, df, etc.

This is very peculiar. Whats the error message of chown ?
Can you use chown on files in / ?

Robert Regn
rtregn@faui32.uucp
rtregn@immd3.informatik.uni-erlangen.de