[comp.os.minix] To minix or not to minix

sbulchan@oracle.uucp (Sanjay Bulchandani) (02/11/89)

Could someone enumerate what minix can do that DOS can't ? I'm dying
to go buy myself a copy of minix but need some justification other than just
fun.

Sanjay
   Sanjay A. Bulchandani    INTERNET:	sbulchan%oracle.com@apple.com
                            UUCP    :	apple!oracle!sbulchan

hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (02/14/89)

In article <621@oracle.UUCP>, sbulchan@oracle.uucp (Sanjay Bulchandani) writes:
> Could someone enumerate what minix can do that DOS can't ? I'm dying
> to go buy myself a copy of minix but need some justification other than just
> fun.

First off, Minix is FUN.
Secondly, Minix is UNIX(r).  It multitasks, looks and feels like UNIX.
Thirdly, It gives you direct access to the disks.  Anything you could
	do as as root in a real UNIX, you can do here.  Me I like patching
	/dev/hd0, which is the boot sector of the hard disk and changing
	the partition table.
Fourth, You can waste endless hours porting UNIX programs to it.

In short, Try it, You'll like it.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzaz!hcj
hcj@lzaz.att.com

kevinf@infmx.UUCP (Kevin Franden) (02/15/89)

In article <413@lzaz.ATT.COM>, hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) writes:
> In article <621@oracle.UUCP>, sbulchan@oracle.uucp (Sanjay Bulchandani) writes:
> > Could someone enumerate what minix can do that DOS can't ? I'm dying
> > to go buy myself a copy of minix but need some justification other than just
> > fun.
>
> First off, Minix is FUN.
> Secondly, Minix is UNIX(r).  It multitasks, looks and feels like UNIX.

	{...and more stuff but wasn't relevent to my question}

Yes but what about my endless array of DOS-based junk I have accumulated
over time?  Are my compilers now defunct?  what about TSRs? how 'bout all
the (pseudo) nifty stuff you need to take into mind when designing a
DOS program?  Will my hard disk need to be reformatted?

Although I am new to UNIX and (very) tired of DOS I do have a substantial
investment in the DOS arena. ($5000+) I would LOVE to have a full-blown
UNIX setup on my system at home but will I have to compromise (trash, throw
out, and otherwise make useless) my DOS stuff?

Kevin Franden
Informix Software

"Programming is like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer...
	it feels SO good when you stop"

(I said what I said and not my employer)

jds@mimsy.UUCP (James da Silva) (02/16/89)

In article <896@infmx.UUCP> kevinf@infmx.UUCP (Kevin Franden) writes:

>Yes but what about my endless array of DOS-based junk I have accumulated
>over time?  Are my compilers now defunct?  what about TSRs? how 'bout all
>the (pseudo) nifty stuff you need to take into mind when designing a
>DOS program?  Will my hard disk need to be reformatted?

Minix is not a replacement for DOS, and was never meant to be.  You can not
run your DOS compilers or TSRs or Flight Simulator or Egaroid under Minix.
Sorry.  Yes, you would need to repartition your disk to put Minix on it.

Minix was designed as a teaching aid for Operating Systems courses.  It
also happens to be lots of fun for OS hackers and would-be OS hackers that
don't have Vaxen and a BSD source license to play with.  Minix is not yet
robust enough to be a replacement OS for people who just want a stable
platform for their applications.

I hope this answers your question.

>Kevin Franden
>Informix Software
>
>"Programming is like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer...
>	it feels SO good when you stop"

If this is how you feel, then you definitely wouldn't like Minix.

Jaime
: domain: jds@mimsy.umd.edu				     James da Silva
: path:   uunet!mimsy!jds

paula@bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) (02/16/89)

In article <896@infmx.UUCP> kevinf@infmx.UUCP (Kevin Franden) writes:
>In article <413@lzaz.ATT.COM>, hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) writes:
>> In article <621@oracle.UUCP>, sbulchan@oracle.uucp (Sanjay Bulchandani) writes:
>>> [Sanjay asked basically, "What's so great about Minix?"]
>> [Mr. Johnson responded, (paraphrasing) "It's fun, it's like Unix..."]
>
>Yes but what about my endless array of DOS-based junk I have accumulated
>over time?  Are my compilers now defunct?  what about TSRs? how 'bout all
>the (pseudo) nifty stuff you need to take into mind when designing a
>DOS program?  Will my hard disk need to be reformatted?

None of your DOS stuff will run under Minix, but you can still run it all
under DOS.  If you choose to put Minix on your hard disk, you can keep a
partition for DOS.  Unless you've got some empty partitions on your hard
disk, installing a Minix partition will involve a full backup, fdisk,
and DOS-level format for the new DOS partition.  Minix has its own C
compiler, so you won't need your DOS compilers, although several people have
done Minix work by cross-developing with DOS C compilers.  When working on
Minix, most of the nifty DOS tricks you know are useless.  But you can
still make use of your knowledge of PC hardware.

>Although I am new to UNIX and (very) tired of DOS I do have a substantial
>investment in the DOS arena. ($5000+) I would LOVE to have a full-blown
>UNIX setup on my system at home but will I have to compromise (trash, throw
>out, and otherwise make useless) my DOS stuff?

Not at all.  You'll just have two separate environments, one full of
expensive tools for doing useful work, and the other a pleasing place to
hack just for the fun of it.  Minix is not what I would call
"full-blown" UNIX.  It does look like Unix.  It has real pipes, shell
scripts, and background processes.  It's performance is quite mediocre,
however.  But you do get all the sources, so you could fix that, if you
had a mind to.  :-)

Paul Allen

Paul L. Allen                       | pallen@atc.boeing.com
Boeing Advanced Technology Center   | ...!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!bcsaic!pallen