[comp.os.minix] c++, maybe again

schiers@imdm.uke.uni-hamburg.dbp.de (Carsten Schiers) (02/01/89)

Let me ask a question, which seems to be discussed allready, but
what I missed. Is there any c++ implemetation available for minix?
I heared it is public domain, so maybe I can get it as a source, to
port it to minix or anywere...

Carsten Schiers

+-----------------------------+----------------------------------------+
| Carsten Schiers             | University of Hamburg, F.R. of Germany |
| schiers@                    |     University Hospital Eppendorf      |
| imdm.uke.uni-hamburg.dbp.de | Dept. of Computer Science in Medicine  |
+-----------------------------+----------------------------------------+

muller@munnari.oz (Paul Muller) (02/02/89)

In article <7737@louie.udel.EDU>, schiers@imdm.uke.uni-hamburg.dbp.de (Carsten Schiers) writes:
> Let me ask a question, which seems to be discussed allready, but
> what I missed. Is there any c++ implemetation available for minix?
> I heared it is public domain, so maybe I can get it as a source, to
> port it to minix or anywere...
>
> Carsten Schiers

I think GNU (GNU's Not Unix, ref Software Foundation) have a C++ implementation
that sort of works (ie: bits missing or buggy, hey it's free!). I think it is
called G++, it is here on munnari I think. Been a while since I looked. You
could probably find it close by.

Has anyone used GNU stuff? Is it possible to compile with Minix C? I have heard
that a lot of the stuff is pretty hefty (size, LARGE) and needs at least a Meg
of RAM to run in...... Anyone?

Paul

walter@hpsad.HP.COM (Walter Coole) (02/07/89)

GNU is mainly targeted at 68000 class machines with large contiguous address
spaces.  Much of the GNU stuff is very good, but difficult to port to 8086-like
machines.

paula@bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) (02/09/89)

In article <590004@hpsad.HP.COM> walter@hpsad.HP.COM (Walter Coole) writes:
>GNU is mainly targeted at 68000 class machines with large contiguous address
>spaces.  Much of the GNU stuff is very good, but difficult to port to 8086-like
>machines.

GNU is targeted at machines with large (possibly virtual) address spaces and
sizeof(int)==32.  The GNU c compiler has been running on 386 machines since
sometime in the middle of '88.  The current versions of the GNU compiler,
assembler, and linker all support the 386.  (It should be pointed out that
the 386 support in gas is brand-new and not completely tested.)

So who's going to be the first one to have the GNU compiler running under
Minix on a 386?  It could be you!   :-)

Paul Allen

Paul L. Allen                       | pallen@atc.boeing.com
Boeing Advanced Technology Center   | ...!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!bcsaic!pallen

In article <2666@munnari.oz> muller@munnari.oz (Paul Muller) writes:
>I think GNU (GNU's Not Unix, ref Software Foundation) have a C++ implementation
>that sort of works (ie: bits missing or buggy, hey it's free!). I think it is
>called G++, it is here on munnari I think. Been a while since I looked. You
>could probably find it close by.

It seems to be getting better...

>Has anyone used GNU stuff? Is it possible to compile with Minix C? I have heard
>that a lot of the stuff is pretty hefty (size, LARGE) and needs at least a Meg
>of RAM to run in...... Anyone?

For ST Minix, I've been using versions of gcc created on a Sun. I haven't
tried to compile ST Minix gcc on Minix, and don't imagine it would be a very
pleasant task. For one thing, the sources are heavily laden with very long
filenames and symbolic links all over the place. As for program size... Yeah,
for gcc, you can find yourself using up to 2 meg of RAM when compiling a good
sized source module with optimization enabled. I chmem'ed the optimizer to
around 2 meg to get it to compile mg. Even on my Mega ST4 w/4 MB RAM, space
gets tight when doing things like that. But yeah, 1 meg is a reasonable size
for typical uses... On the other hand, some of the other utilities, like diff
and grep, are pretty nice. All the features I'd expect from a 4.3BSD version,
plus more speed and smaller size.
--
  /
 /_ , ,_.                      Howard Chu