[comp.os.minix] Minix 1.2 / EGA problems

tim@crackle.amd.com (Tim Olson) (02/18/89)

[ I previously limited a previous posting to 'ba', but I got no

I am running Minix 1.2 on a Western Digital 286 motherboard which has a
built-in EGA controller (Paradise).  After scrolling a number of lines,
characters become invisible, and later reappear when the last visible
line is scrolled off the top of the screen.

Does anyone out there have a fix for this?  It is very annoying to try
to edit a file you can't see!

	-- Tim Olson
	Advanced Micro Devices
	(tim@crackle.amd.com)

heja@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.dbp.de (Herbert Jaegle) (02/21/89)

Tim Olson <S=tim;OU=crackle;O=amd;P=com;A=dbp;C=de> writes:
>I am running Minix 1.2 on a Western Digital 286 motherboard which has a
>built-in EGA controller (Paradise).  After scrolling a number of lines,
>characters become invisible, and later reappear when the last visible
>line is scrolled off the top of the screen.

I'm running Minix 1.2 on an Intel 80286 Board with a Paradise Autoswitch EGA.
Using the Autoswitch feature I have the same problem, so I boot MS-DOS, use
EGA-tool to lock the current mode and boot Minix. ( Only Hardware Reset resets
the EGA-Card ). This solves the problem for me.
That's no satisfying solution, but until I've hacked the error, it works.
The problem for me is to get a description of the Paradise Autoswitch EGA
control registers. So if somebody could tell me where to get one, I'll try to
fix this bug.