[comp.os.minix] MINIX-ST: can't boot MINIX from .IMG file after using FIXKEYS

PKP88%DMSWWU1A.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Rainer Perske) (02/21/89)

Hello,

I've run  into an installation problem  with MINIX-ST: I want  to start
MINIX from TOS w/o using a  floppy disk. I followed the instructions in
the manual  to create MINIX.IMG  on my hard  disk. There is  no problem
starting MINIX this way if (and only if) I've created MINIX.IMG from an
unchanged boot disk. But I have a german keyboard, so I ran FIXKEYS.PRG
on a copy  of my boot disk.  If I create a MINIX.IMG  from this changed
boot disk,  MINIX.PRG stops  with a  message: minix.img:  wrong format.
Why?

Is this behaviour known? Did I make any error? Is there a bug in one of
the files fixkeys.prg or minix.prg? Does a correction exist?

BTW: Thankx, Andy, Johan, Jost, for this great system !!!

Hoping for many answers....

Rainer Perske

Rainer Perske                        EARN/BITNET: PERSKE@DMSWWU5P.bitnet
Institut fuer Kernphysik der         EARN/BITNET: PKP88@DMSWWU1A.bitnet
Westfaelischen Wilhelms-Universitaet                .
Wilhelm-Klemm-Strasse 9                            /|\
D-4400 Muenster                                     |
Federal Republic of Germany                       has recently changed !
Disclaimer: If not otherwise stated, all written above is my own opinion

johan@nlgvax.UUCP (Johan Stevenson) (02/21/89)

In article <9203@louie.udel.EDU> PKP88%DMSWWU1A.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Rainer Perske) writes:
>I've run  into an installation problem  with MINIX-ST: I want  to start
>MINIX from TOS w/o using a  floppy disk. I followed the instructions in
>the manual  to create MINIX.IMG  on my hard  disk. There is  no problem
>starting MINIX this way if (and only if) I've created MINIX.IMG from an
>unchanged boot disk. But I have a german keyboard, so I ran FIXKEYS.PRG
>on a copy  of my boot disk.  If I create a MINIX.IMG  from this changed
>boot disk,  MINIX.PRG stops  with a  message: minix.img:  wrong format.

Most likely problem is that the copy of your floppy is not right.
Several TOS copy programs manipulate the information in sector 0
while making a copy.
Use a copy program that does not modify the contents of any bit
in any byte of any of the 720 sectors!
For instance, use RFLOP.PRG and WFLOP.PRG found on 08.TOS, as
documented in the accompanying leaflet.
--
Johan W. Stevenson	johan@pcg.philips.nl		Philips Research

V61%DHDURZ1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Ronald Lamprecht) (02/22/89)

In his article from  Mon, 20 Feb 89 16:34:53 GMT
Rainer Perske <PKP88%DMSWWU1A.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> wrote:
>unchanged boot disk. But I have a german keyboard, so I ran FIXKEYS.PRG
>on a copy  of my boot disk.  If I create a MINIX.IMG  from this changed
>boot disk,  MINIX.PRG stops  with a  message: minix.img:  wrong format.

You ran into trouble with MINIX.PRG and your backup (copy) program :
MINIX.PRG checks the last bytes of the bootsector as
 Jack Dunn <jack@CSMUNIX.LARC.NASA.GOV> reported in his answer
FIXKEYS.PRG doesn't change anything within the bootsector. But most
intelligent copy programs don't produce an exact copy! They change the
serial ID located within the bootsector and adjust the checksum over
the bootsector by setting the last (!) word appropriated.
This makes sense, because GEMDOS will now detect a media change if you
use both disks afterwards and avoids writing onto the wrong disk.
But Minix uses a serial ID of 0 and doesn't use the last word of the
bootsector as checksum, because it stores its own information that is
checked by MINIX.PRG on this location.

Conclusion: use another stupid backup program.

Bitnet:  V61@DHDURZ1                               Ronald Lamprecht
UUCP:    ...!unido!DHDURZ1.bitnet!V61              Theoretische Physik
ARPAnet: V61%DHDURZ1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU       (Heidelberg, West Germany)