[comp.os.minix] MegaFile30

hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (02/24/89)

> From: "ROGER@BRAGE Roger Fredriksson QZ-VAX" <ROGER%brage.qz.se%CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
>
> Good morning,
>   I hope You don't mind me asking You two questions about harddisks for Atari.
> ... hoped to receive some advice from You. First, I have seen a Atari harddisk
> called MegaFile 30, do You know if it is working so well with Minix that You
> would recomend me to buy it? Secondly, if not what would You recomend instead?
> /Roger

First.  So far, ALL ATARI disks seem to work with minix.
Second, I do not know if the MegaFile 30 shares the SH204 grief.  It should
	be easy to check; maybe someone on the new will.
	-- Use any utility that will access drive 1 on controller 0.
	Such as, hdx, Magic Sac, Spectre128, a recent utility in START.
	-- If the program says the drive is there, but reads wrong, then that
	is the SH204 problem.
Third,	I would suspect that 30 megabytes implies an Adaptec 4070 RLL
	controller.  I would expect that another RLL drive could be added.
	Maybe Adaptec will tell you if you can mix RLL and MFM drives.

There is a lot to say for clean prepackaged systems.  And a Megafile 30 surely
is a cleaner package for non-hardware types that say the Berkely Microsystems
that I favor.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzaz!hcj
hcj@lzaz.att.com

PRINS%HLERUL5.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Ryko Prins, CRI, Leiden, Netherlands) (02/27/89)

> First.  So far, ALL ATARI disks seem to work with minix.

My Megafile 60 doesn't. (But I've heard of Megafile 60's wo do).

I've been told that the Megafile 30 is in essence a upgraded SH205,
so I guess there will be no problems with a 30.

                        Greetings, Ryko Prins.