[comp.os.minix] Need Help With MINIX For ATARI ST

karl@aicchi.UUCP (Ken Lightbody) (02/26/89)

I have just purchased MINIX Version 1.1 for the ATARI ST and need some help.

1. Is the four part update package that was recently posted valid for this
   version as I hear talk of other versions (1.2, 1.3, etc) ?

2. The instructions call for using "patch" which I can't seem to find on my
   distribution disks ????

3. The four part update package had a problem with "cu.tar".  Is there any
   chance of having this portion re-transmitted  ???

4. I have noticed other references to "sed" which also seems to be missing
   from my distribution disks (but not required for the four part package) ?

hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (02/28/89)

In article <72@aicchi.UUCP>, karl@aicchi.UUCP (Ken Lightbody) writes:

> I have just purchased MINIX Version 1.1 for the ATARI ST and need some help.
>
> 1. Is the four part update package that was recently posted valid for this
>    version as I hear talk of other versions (1.2, 1.3, etc) ?
At present, all referrences to 1.2 1.3 and 1.4 are updates for the IBM
compatible systems.

> 2. The instructions call for using "patch" which I can't seem to find on my
>    distribution disks ????
Patch, is posted periodically.

> 3. The four part update package had a problem with "cu.tar".  Is there any
>    chance of having this portion re-transmitted  ???
cu.tar has been reposted separately.  Watch your favorite news feed.

> 4. I have noticed other references to "sed" which also seems to be missing
>    from my distribution disks (but not required for the four part package) ?

the minix program gres and sed have a lot in common.  A shar file can ALWAYS
be taken apart manually using mined or stevie (You may have missed it also
on the net.).

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzaz!hcj