[comp.os.minix] Don't post binaries

mjs@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (michael.j.scheutzow) (02/28/89)

> sed "s/^X//" >program.uue <<'END_OF_program.uue'
> Xbegin 644 program.out
> XM 0,@!"  __\ =   N <  + B           !      "X0 >+W(L/@\,"B\%
> XMT> #PZ," %!34>AF!H/$!E#H)7#,P\<&SAT (*'.';L" )GW^P,&SAVCQ =0
> XMZ(9L1$2C9!T+P'4CBQY:*M'C_[>@!/\VUAVX'@!0_S9P!^CI9X/$"&H"Z-]O
> XM1$3#5E?( @  H<0'*T8(.P;.'7]6H<0'*T8(.P;.'7\2H<0'T>"CQ >ASAW1

*** OPINION *** OPINION *** OPINION *** OPINION *** OPINION ***

I don't think it is very appropriate to post binaries in this newsgroup.
The type of people reading this are generally knowledgeable enough to
deal with source code, and I think we should be given the opportunity
to do so.  I find it very valuable to see how different features are
implemented.  If an author isn't willing to part with his/her source code,
I think they should find another way to distribute their work.

As a side issue, users better start considering the possible effects of
malicious software.  It is much easier to distribute a Trojan horse
(virus, worm, etc) in binary than in source code.  Even if you still
get caught, you have the opportunity to see if the damage was caused by an
intentional bug or not (backups, remember?).

AT&T takes this threat very seriously, and has regulations against using
sourceless software obtained from public sources.  I think this is smart.

Flames to /dev/null please.

Mike S.

roberto@cwi.nl (Rob ten Kroode) (02/28/89)

In article <168@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> mjs@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (michael.j.scheutzow) writes:
>I don't think it is very appropriate to post binaries in this newsgroup.
>The type of people reading this are generally knowledgeable enough to
>deal with source code, and I think we should be given the opportunity
>to do so.  I find it very valuable to see how different features are
>implemented.  If an author isn't willing to part with his/her source code,
>I think they should find another way to distribute their work.

I agree. Another argument: if you buy Minix, the complete source code is included.
It is completely illogical to write some piece of software and than sending only
the binary. It just isn't in the spirit of Minix!

--

Rob ten Kroode (roberto@cwi.nl)   |         Don't read this !!

"When they said 'sit down' I stood up",  Growing up - Bruce Springsteen

Leisner.Henr@xerox.com (marty) (02/28/89)

Please stop the binaries.

Please publish source code and perhaps add a footnote like:

"If your C compiler no grok dis program, send me mail".

My mailbox overfloweth!!

The only exception I see is for a standard program (i.e. Elle) which had
problems compiling on standard Minix -- ast did a cross compile and posted
it.

In general, I stopped dealing with binaries on news -- I  found it too much
work to start catting together archive pieces, uudecoding,  uncompressing
and then finding the distribution was munged somewhere.  Great fun.

Minix comes with a C compiler -- use it.

Conserve net bandwidth -- the phone bill you save may be your own.

marty
ARPA:	leisner.henr@xerox.com
GV:  leisner.henr
NS:  martin leisner:wbst139:xerox