[comp.os.minix] MINIX-ST: Can't boot MINIX from .IMG

jack@csmunix.larc.nasa.gov (Jack Dunn) (02/21/89)

I don't think the problem is with using FIXKEYS. I have had the same
problem with out using FIXKEYS. In my analysis, the booting program
will never work with a correct .IMG file. The error is generated
when, if I calculated the address right, the 16 bit word located
at offset 508 ( wp[-2] ) is not zero or when the 16 bit word
at offset 506 ( wp[-3] ) does not equal the 16 bit word at offset
510 ( wp[-1] ). It appears that wp[-1] is a check sum and
wp[-3] is the start of the data segment. I can not see
how these words would ever be equal. I have concluded that
the MINIX.PRG is the not coded correctly. I have go any further
into trying to correct the problem since it is just as easy to
boot the system from floppy.

bammi@dsrgsun.ces.cwru.edu (Jwahar R. Bammi) (02/21/89)

In article <9222@louie.udel.EDU>, jack@csmunix (Jack Dunn) writes:
>how these words would ever be equal. I have concluded that
>the MINIX.PRG is the not coded correctly. I have go any further

Please re-check if it is not an operator error. I use the MINIX.PRG
route to boot up minix all the time. I have built several kernels
this way, never had any problems. The steps i use are:

	in minix:
	- build a new kernel
	- cp minix.img /dev/fd0
	- sync & reboot (CTRL+ALT+DEL)
	in TOS:
	- double click into c:\command.tos (in my small TOS partition)
	- fixkeys a:
	- rflop a: c:\minix 133000 (any number > sizeof(minix.img) will do)
	- exit
	- double click minix.prg
hope that helps.
usenet: {decvax,sun}!cwjcc!dsrgsun!bammi	jwahar r. bammi
csnet:       bammi@dsrgsun.ces.CWRU.edu
arpa:        bammi@dsrgsun.ces.CWRU.edu
compuServe:  71515,155

PKP88%DMSWWU1A.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Rainer Perske) (02/21/89)

Hello,

Jack Dunn <jack@CSMUNIX.LARC.NASA.GOV> answered:
>I don't think the problem is with using FIXKEYS. I have had the same
>problem with out using FIXKEYS. In my analysis, the booting program
>will never work with a correct .IMG file. The error is generated
>when, if I calculated the address right, the 16 bit word located
>at offset 508 ( wp[-2] ) is not zero or when the 16 bit word
>at offset 506 ( wp[-3] ) does not equal the 16 bit word at offset
>510 ( wp[-1] ). It appears that wp[-1] is a check sum and
>wp[-3] is the start of the data segment. I can not see
>how these words would ever be equal. I have concluded that
>the MINIX.PRG is the not coded correctly. I have go any further
>into trying to correct the problem since it is just as easy to
>boot the system from floppy.

Most of this is correct, but it  is not the reason the fault originates
from, as I've decovered now: If I make a diskcopy by dragging icon A on
icon B, the bootsector will NOT be  maintained exactly, if it is not in
standard  TOS  format.  At  least five  bytes  changed,  including  the
checksum. Because byte 510 (wp[-1])  is part of the checksum, MINIX.PRG
will fail if  MINIX.IMG is made from  a copied disk, but  it happens to
success from the original disk.

Proposed correction: Use a disk copy program instead of dragging icon A
on icon B, or try (using the 08.TOS disk, see manual)

   RFLOP A: M:MINIX.IMG 1300000    read the original bootdisk image
   WFLOP A: M:MINIX.IMG            write a copy on another disk

Preferrable  correction (Johan?  Jost?): Change  MINIX.PRG so  that any
other validity check is performed;  and change the minix bootsector, so
that it  becomes a fully  TOS compatible  bootsector (one that  will be
maintained by the desktop diskcopy).

Much fun with MINIX!

Rainer Perske

Rainer Perske                        EARN/BITNET: PERSKE@DMSWWU5P.bitnet
Institut fuer Kernphysik der         EARN/BITNET: PKP88@DMSWWU1A.bitnet
Westfaelischen Wilhelms-Universitaet                .
Wilhelm-Klemm-Strasse 9                            /|\
D-4400 Muenster                                     |
Federal Republic of Germany                       has recently changed !
Disclaimer: If not otherwise stated, all written above is my own opinion

jf@laura.UUCP (Jan-Hinrich Fessel) (02/22/89)

In article <504@cwjcc.CWRU.Edu> bammi@dsrgsun.ces.cwru.edu (Jwahar R. Bammi) writes:
>In article <9222@louie.udel.EDU>, jack@csmunix (Jack Dunn) writes:
>>how these words would ever be equal. I have concluded that
>>the MINIX.PRG is the not coded correctly. I have go any further

I do think that too!

>Please re-check if it is not an operator error. I use the MINIX.PRG
[...]
>hope that helps.

Nope!
I personally can't get minix.prg to run correct.  All I can see is
the screen turning white (after the normal TOS-procedures) and
then - whow - the Desktop again.

	Jan-Hinrich
--
			      Jan-Hinrich Fessel
		jf@unido.uucp			jf@unido.bitnet

fgbrooks@pnet01.cts.com (Fred Brooks) (02/23/89)

bammi@dsrgsun.ces.cwru.edu (Jwahar R. Bammi) writes:
>In article <9222@louie.udel.EDU>, jack@csmunix (Jack Dunn) writes:
>>how these words would ever be equal. I have concluded that
>>the MINIX.PRG is the not coded correctly. I have go any further
>
>Please re-check if it is not an operator error. I use the MINIX.PRG
>route to boot up minix all the time. I have built several kernels
>this way, never had any problems. The steps i use are:
>
>	in minix:
>	- build a new kernel
>	- cp minix.img /dev/fd0
>	- sync & reboot (CTRL+ALT+DEL)
>	in TOS:
>	- double click into c:\command.tos (in my small TOS partition)
>	- fixkeys a:
>	- rflop a: c:\minix 133000 (any number > sizeof(minix.img) will do)
>	- exit
>	- double click minix.prg
>hope that helps.
>usenet: {decvax,sun}!cwjcc!dsrgsun!bammi	jwahar r. bammi
>csnet:       bammi@dsrgsun.ces.CWRU.edu
>arpa:        bammi@dsrgsun.ces.CWRU.edu
>compuServe:  71515,155

Hello I havn't heard from you in a million. I see you are into minix now. As
soon as I get my atari back I hope to get into ST MINIX. Where is the GULAM
shell for MINIX?

UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!fgbrooks
ARPA: crash!pnet01!fgbrooks@nosc.mil
INET: fgbrooks@pnet01.cts.com

jack@csmunix.larc.nasa.gov (Jack Dunn) (02/23/89)

The proble is with the format of the disk that was used to
hold the new version of MINIX.

I went in with a sector editor and changed the GEM file
of the MINIX.IMG so that the last 16 bit word of the first
sector equaled the third from the last 16 bit word. There
were no problems.  ( The orginal disks I got from PH had
$01D0 for this value ).

The reason this problem comes up is that the last word
in the first sector is a GEM/TOS check sum. GEM/TOS tries
to creat a different serial number for each disk that it formats.
(random number perhaps) This cause the last word to be
different for each disk, even when an identical copy is
made by draging the icon for one disk over the other. It
is apparent that the first sector is not transfered.

Note. that this problem does not happen if the formating
program that was just relased over this net is used to
format a disk from MINIX!!!

johan@nlgvax.UUCP (Johan Stevenson) (02/24/89)

In article <9222@louie.udel.EDU> jack@csmunix.larc.nasa.gov (Jack Dunn) writes:
>I don't think the problem is with using FIXKEYS. I have had the same
>problem with out using FIXKEYS. In my analysis, the booting program
>will never work with a correct .IMG file. The error is generated
>when, if I calculated the address right, the 16 bit word located
>at offset 508 ( wp[-2] ) is not zero or when the 16 bit word
>at offset 506 ( wp[-3] ) does not equal the 16 bit word at offset
>510 ( wp[-1] ). It appears that wp[-1] is a check sum and
>wp[-3] is the start of the data segment. I can not see
>how these words would ever be equal. I have concluded that
>the MINIX.PRG is the not coded correctly. I have go any further
>into trying to correct the problem since it is just as easy to
>boot the system from floppy.

MINIX.PRG is correct. But it needs an exact byte-by-byte copy of the
first 130Kbyte or so of the 00.BOOT floppy.
The problem is caused by TOS copy programs that modify the contents
of the first sector. They force a new random number as disk
identification (not a real problem), but also adjust the checksum.
Unfortunately, bytes 510 and 511 are used for this TOS checksum.
And this coincides with three words of information MINIX stores at
the end of the first sector of MINIX.IMG.
MINIX-ST uses bytes 504 and 505 as checksum.
If I had foreseen all these problems I would have used 510 and 511,
but I haven't. Sorry.
Please use copy programs that do not modify sector 0, for instance
the programs RFLOP.PRG and WFLOP.PRG on diskette 08.TOS.
--
Johan W. Stevenson	johan@pcg.philips.nl		Philips Research

zessel@incas.UUCP (Holger Zessel AG Nehmer) (02/28/89)

Hi !
I've got some other questions/bugs(?) with respect to booting
with MINIX.PRG:

- When I put MINIX.PRG in the AUTO-folder and reboot,the system is
  loaded and then start's up. Minix asks for the rootdevice and
  after answering that it announces a severe hd error
  ("... Push reset button"). I don't know the exact message
  at this moment when I post this, I'll tell it later.
  Interesting is the fact, that this only happens with MINIX.PRG
  started from AUTO folder.
  MINIX.PRG started from desktop shows no problems with respect
  to disk.
  I looked intensively at TOS-initialization before and after
  AUTO folder is executed but found no hints. There must be a difference
  between booting from floppy/desktop and AUTO folder.
  The disk is a VORTEX HDPlus 20 (german product).

- Booting with MINIX.PRG always destroys resetvectors in as far that
  typing ctrl-alt-del from MINIX or pushing reset just gives a black
  screen and - dead machine. I must switch it off to reboot.

Any ideas, suggestions ?

		Holger
Holger Zessel, uucp: ...!uunet!mcvax!unido!uklirb!incas!zessel
Fachbereich Informatik, SFB124-D1
Universitaet Kaiserslautern, FRG