[comp.os.minix] PDP/LSI 11 based Minix ?

hackeron@athena.mit.edu (Harris L Gilliam) (02/18/89)

Hi there,

	Has anyone tried a Minix port to PDP/LSI 11 based machines ?

							---Harris

|  Harris L. Gilliam                   ()    4 Ames St. Cambridge MA 02139 |
|  Internet : hackeron@athena.mit.edu  () hgilliam@media-lab.media.mit.edu |
|  UUCP     : {backbone..}!mit-eddie!mit-athena!hackeron                   |
|For every complex problem,there's a solution that's simple,neat,and wrong.|

tdavis@enlog.Wichita.NCR.COM (Tim Davis) (02/21/89)

In article <9310@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> hackeron@athena.mit.edu (Harris L Gilliam) writes:
>	Has anyone tried a Minix port to PDP/LSI 11 based machines ?
Your question brings us full circle. I suggest you talk to Dennis Ritchie.
If my history is correct, he developed the original UNIX(tm) on the
DEC PDP-11.  YOU COULD HAVE REAL UNIX!  I bet he would even send you
the original source code. Of course it might be a few versions out of date...

...tIM dAVIS
--
...tIM dAVIS
(Tim.Davis@Wichita.NCR.COM)

tif@cpe.UUCP (02/22/89)

Written 10:28 am  Feb 20, 1989 by enlog.UUCP!tdavis in cpe:comp.os.minix */
>In article <9310@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> hackeron@athena.mit.edu (Harris L Gilliam) writes:
>>	Has anyone tried a Minix port to PDP/LSI 11 based machines ?
>Your question brings us full circle. I suggest you talk to Dennis Ritchie.
>If my history is correct, he developed the original UNIX(tm) on the
>DEC PDP-11.  YOU COULD HAVE REAL UNIX!  I bet he would even send you
>the original source code. Of course it might be a few versions out of date...

I got two curiosity questions:
	What does Dennis Ritchie think of Minix?
	How big is the source code for Unix on the PDP-11?

			Paul Chamberlain
			Computer Product Engineering, Tandy Corp.
			{killer | texbell}!cpe!tif

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (02/24/89)

In article <136600003@cpe> tif@cpe.UUCP writes:
>>I suggest you talk to Dennis Ritchie.
>>If my history is correct, he developed the original UNIX(tm) on the
>>DEC PDP-11.  YOU COULD HAVE REAL UNIX!  I bet he would even send you
>>the original source code. Of course it might be a few versions out of date...

You have the history botched.  Ken Thompson was one of the programmers in the
MULTICS (Multiplexed Information and Computing Service) project, being done
by MIT, GE, and Bell Labs.  When Bell Labs pulled out, Ken found an old PDP-7
and tried to write a 1-user operating system for it, which Brian Kernighan
dubbed UNICS (Uniplexed Information and Computing Service).  Later Ken
rewrote it for a PDP-11/20.  That impressed Bell Labs Management so much
that they bought a PDP-11/45.  Dennis joined around then and invented a new
language called C to replace the previous language, B (a derivative of
BCPL, which is Basic CPL).  Dennis then wrote a C compiler and together
they rewrote the system in C.  The rest is history.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

In article <136600003@cpe> tif@cpe.UUCP writes:
>	How big is the source code for Unix on the PDP-11?

Kernel only, or the programs as well?  Most of it's still on line here.
--
The Earth is our mother;       |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
our nine months are up.        | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

muller@munnari.oz (Paul Muller) (03/02/89)

Not that Andrew wasn't accurate in what he said, but for those who are more
interested I suggest having a look in 'Unix System: Readings and Applications
volume II', I think PH publish it. Dennis has an article in their that covers
much of interest. There is also another paper in there that covers Bell Labs
eperience porting Unix over to an 8086?!
paul

tif@cpe.UUCP (03/03/89)

Written  2:48 pm  Feb 24, 1989 by utzoo.UUCP!henry in cpe:comp.os.minix
>In article <136600003@cpe> tif@cpe.UUCP writes:
>>	How big is the source code for Unix on the PDP-11?
>Kernel only, or the programs as well?  Most of it's still on line here.

Lets say just the kernel, my Minix 1.1 kernel (kernel/mm/fs) source is
about 600K.  It might be interesting to know how that compares to the
original Unix.  In other words, does making a simple readable kernel
reduce the size of the source code or increase it?  Granted their
probably aren't as many comments...

In article <136600004@cpe> tif@cpe.UUCP writes:
>>>	How big is the source code for Unix on the PDP-11?
>>Kernel only, or the programs as well?  Most of it's still on line here.
>
>Lets say just the kernel, my Minix 1.1 kernel (kernel/mm/fs) source is
>about 600K.  It might be interesting to know how that compares to the
>original Unix...

Our V7, operational on a fairly large 11/44 (i.e. a fair number of device
drivers) as of a year ago, came out this way:

place	lines	bytes

sys	6741	126611
dev	4877	97353
h	1545	41264
conf	2178	45951
----------------------
	15341	311179

"sys" is most of the kernel, "dev" is device drivers and some related items,
"h" is include files, "conf" is configuration control and the one big lump
of assembler for low-level functions.  (The assembler stuff is in "conf"
because it is slightly pdp11-model-specific.)  This excludes device drivers
not in our operational configuration.

In general, V7 was fairly compact.  The entire distribution -- sources,
binaries, manual pages, everything -- was 11 MB.
--

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (03/06/89)

In article <136600004@cpe> tif@cpe.UUCP writes:

>Lets say just the kernel, my Minix 1.1 kernel (kernel/mm/fs) source is
>about 600K.  It might be interesting to know how that compares to the
>original Unix.  In other words, does making a simple readable kernel
>reduce the size of the source code or increase it?

I just went hunting for John Lions' book about V6 UNIX.  It is 9099 lines.
(If you don't know about John Lions', you are clearly not an old timer; ask one.)

On the other hand, V7 is considerably bigger than V6, and V6 has few comments.

However, MINIX does not have all the functionality of V7.

Conclusion: probably none, but I don't think the sizes of V7 and MINIX
differ that much.  They do roughly the same thing with the same level of
checking.  It would be surprising if they were that different in size.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)