[comp.os.minix] minix, xenix, posix questions...

jeff@hpctdls.HP.COM (Jeff Hughes) (03/18/89)

Hello,
    I have a general question about minix, posix, xenix, etc. Can anyone
tell me approximately how much disk space each takes up? How about a
performance comparison? Are any PC-based versions of UNIX free or public
domain? Can I get a hold of source code for any of them? If they are note
free, how much does each cost approximately and how can I obtain copies?
Is there a version of X-windows that runs on top of any of these?

                                       signed,
                                            curious.

car@pte.UUCP (Chris Rende) (03/23/89)

In article <2280002@hpctdls.HP.COM>, jeff@hpctdls.HP.COM (Jeff Hughes) writes:
>     I have a general question about minix, posix, xenix, etc. Can anyone
> tell me approximately how much disk space each takes up? How about a
> performance comparison? Are any PC-based versions of UNIX free or public
> domain? Can I get a hold of source code for any of them? If they are note
> free, how much does each cost approximately and how can I obtain copies?
> Is there a version of X-windows that runs on top of any of these?

Hm... "a general question" with SIX components... :-)

If we split comp.os.minix.... The first split should be:
    comp.os.minix.wizards
    comp.os.minix.questions

car.
--
Christopher A. Rende           Multics,DTSS,Unix,Shortwave,Scanners,StarTrek
uunet!edsews!{rphroy!}pte!car  Minix,PC/XT,Mac+,TRS-80 Model I: Buy Sell Trade