[comp.os.minix] Size of PC 1.3

allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (03/19/89)

Now that I've got 1.2 up and (mostly) running (anyone have the proper 1.2
ordering of /usr/lib/libc.a?), I want to upgrade to 1.3.  Only problem is,
the tar file is 8MB compressed... here I am, working comfortably in a 5MB
disk partition, and now this.  What am I getting myself into?  Am I going to
need to dedicate my entire hard drive to 1.3, at least while doing the
upgrade?

++Brandon (perplexed)
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@ncoast.org
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu

jds@mimsy.UUCP (James da Silva) (03/20/89)

In article <13484@ncoast.ORG> allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
>Now that I've got 1.2 up and (mostly) running (anyone have the proper 1.2
>ordering of /usr/lib/libc.a?), I want to upgrade to 1.3.  Only problem is,
>the tar file is 8MB compressed... here I am, working comfortably in a 5MB
>disk partition, and now this.  What am I getting myself into?  Am I going to
>need to dedicate my entire hard drive to 1.3, at least while doing the
>upgrade?

I think you're off by an order of magnitude.  The upgrade tar file on
bugs.nosc.mil is ~800K bytes.  It uncompresses to about 1.7 MB.  If Minix
1.3 were 8 Meg compressed, the PC distribution would take ~23 disks at
least!

Still, 5 meg might be uncomfortably tight.  10 meg would be plenty.  I
suggest you grab the recent 1.3 libc.a that AST mailed to the archivers;
bugs should have it.  That would solve your ordering problems, and releive
you from the burden of having to deal with upgrading the library first.

Jaime
: domain: jds@mimsy.umd.edu				     James da Silva
: path:   uunet!mimsy!jds

dono@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Don OConnell) (03/20/89)

>From allbery@ncoast.ORG Sat Mar 18 16:56:34 1989
>Now that I've got 1.2 up and (mostly) running (anyone have the proper 1.2
>ordering of /usr/lib/libc.a?), I want to upgrade to 1.3.  Only problem is,
>the tar file is 8MB compressed... here I am, working comfortably in a 5MB

The size of the upgrade diffs and new files(1.2 -> 1.3) are 884880 bytes in
my copy(16 bit compression). Unpacks to appx. 2 megs. If your file is truly
8 mb you need to look at it and find out what is wrong.

Don O'Connell					killer!dono

HELMER%SDNET.BITNET@vm1.nodak.edu (Guy Helmer) (03/21/89)

>Now that I've got 1.2 up and (mostly) running (anyone have the proper 1.2
>ordering of /usr/lib/libc.a?), I want to upgrade to 1.3.  Only problem is,
>the tar file is 8MB compressed... here I am, working comfortably in a 5MB
>disk partition, and now this.  What am I getting myself into?  Am I going to
>need to dedicate my entire hard drive to 1.3, at least while doing the
>upgrade?
>
>++Brandon (perplexed)
I just upgraded my PC version of Minix to 1.3, using the upgrade package
from LISTSERV@NDSUVM1.BITNET, which consists of 26+ files.  By using these
files, I was able to upgrade Minix on my 6Mb partition by pieces.  I
would be running into space problems, but I've been backing off 1.3
commands binaries to floppy until I've built a 1.3 kernel.  When only
sources reside in the minix directory, I estimate there is about 4.5Mb
used on my Minix partition.  It sounds as though you will have a good
time ahead of you if you must de-tar your archive package and apply it
using a 5Mb partition ;-).

-- Guy Helmer
   HELMER@SDNET.BITNET
   ghelmer@loft386.uucp      ...!{texbell,killer!warble}!loft386!ghelmer

allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (03/26/89)

As quoted from <7592@killer.Dallas.TX.US> by dono@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Don OConnell):
+---------------
| >From allbery@ncoast.ORG Sat Mar 18 16:56:34 1989
| >Now that I've got 1.2 up and (mostly) running (anyone have the proper 1.2
| >ordering of /usr/lib/libc.a?), I want to upgrade to 1.3.  Only problem is,
| >the tar file is 8MB compressed... here I am, working comfortably in a 5MB
|
| The size of the upgrade diffs and new files(1.2 -> 1.3) are 884880 bytes in
| my copy(16 bit compression). Unpacks to appx. 2 megs. If your file is truly
| 8 mb you need to look at it and find out what is wrong.
+---------------

Yup -- something went wrong.  I shouldn't be surprised; I've had all manner
of odd things happen while using FTP (most common is that my *terminal*
connection suddenly hangs and I have to hang up and re-dial the Unix system).
Once I get my 10MB partition ready (I was wrong about 1.2 fixing the swapped
drive parameters problem on ITT XTRAs, grrr) I'll probably download it and
do the upgrade.

Dumb question:  What's the state of PS/2 support at present?  Has anyone
gotten it working yet?  I have access to PS/2-50s again, and am seriously
considering putting a *real* OS on one of them ;-)

++Brandon