[comp.os.minix] transferring minix discs before running readfs

Leisner.Henr@xerox.com (Marty) (03/28/89)

I want to upload the minix distribution disks onto my sun386i (which has a
3 1/2" floppy drive).

If I run readfs onto msdos, I'll loose some information (permissions and 14
char file names).

Is it reasonable to:
	1) save the image of the disk in a DOS file (does anyone have a tool to do
this?)
	2) ftp the files onto the sun.
	3) run a sun-based copy of readfs to unpacked the file systems.

Any better ideas?

I'm not really running much minix stuff right now -- I don't have enough
hard disk space to run somethink like tar -cvf disk3.tar /dev/at0.

marty
ARPA:	leisner.henr@xerox.com
GV:  leisner.henr
NS:  martin leisner:wbst139:xerox
UUCP:	hplabs!arisia!leisner

jds@mimsy.UUCP (James da Silva) (03/28/89)

In article <11700@louie.udel.EDU> Leisner.Henr@xerox.com (Marty) writes:
>Is it reasonable to:
>	1) save the image of the disk in a DOS file (does anyone have a tool
>	   to do this?)

Yes, this is reasonable; at least, it's the way I've done this sort of
thing.  It's easy enough (but not as easy as it should be) to cobble up a
tool to read the raw disk through bios calls.  But if you've got even a
little Minix space on your hard disk, it will be cleaner to suck the raw
disk to a file using dd | compress, then doswrite it.

Or, if you could find a machine with both 5.25" and 3.5" disk drives, just
diskcopy the distribution disks, and readfs the 3.5" disks directly on the
roadrunner.

>	2) ftp the files onto the sun.
>	3) run a sun-based copy of readfs to unpacked the file systems.

This should work fine.  Readfs has worked for me under BSD on a Vax and
under DOS.

Jaime
: domain: jds@mimsy.umd.edu				     James da Silva
: path:   uunet!mimsy!jds