[comp.os.minix] awk under minix?

bww@hpqtdla.HP.COM (Brian Woodroffe) (03/27/89)

Has any one a version of "awk" for minix?  Obviously a version compatible
with the new-awk (functions etc) as described in the awk book book is to
be prefered, but a version compatible with old awk would be very nice!
Would they be prepared to post it on the "net"?  I am sure others would
be interrested also.

I have heard of a thing called "gawk".  I assume that it is a FSF product.
Has any one tried gawk under Minix?  Is it compilable on a 1-Meg machine?

Thank you,

Brian Woodroffe.
email = bww%hpqtdla@hplabs.HP.COM

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (03/30/89)

In article <1720009@hpqtdla.HP.COM> bww@hpqtdla.HP.COM (Brian Woodroffe) writes:
>Has any one a version of "awk" for minix?

I just got back.

I have a thing called bawk.  It doesn't seem to work right, but if anybody
wants to work on it, let me know and I'll send it to you.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

poage@sunny.ucdavis.edu (Tom Poage) (04/01/89)

In article <2228@ast.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
>I have a thing called bawk.  It doesn't seem to work right, but if anybody
>wants to work on it, let me know and I'll send it to you.

Bawk had some kind of problem, among others, with assuming
sizeof(char*) == sizeof(int).  Someone (I don't remember the
details) apparently fixed this thing and gave it to the C Users
Group in Kansas.  You can most likely find an address of the C
Users Group in some programming journals.  I don't have an
address handy at the moment.  Tom.
--
Tom Poage, UCDMC Clinical Engineering, Sacto., CA
poage@sunny.ucdavis.edu