[comp.os.minix] Stupidity..

marcr@pnet02.cts.com (Marc Runkel) (03/30/89)

I've done something rather stupid. As in modifying my original disks
accidentally so that I can no longer get into the system (I clobbered the
passwd file).. Is there any way I can recover from this without getting a new
Root File System disk?  Help please!

Also, has anyone written a uucp, uucico, etc. for Minix 1.3 yet?  And does
Minix 1.3 support logons through terminals?  Oh, and what about ReadNews?

And lastly, does Minix 1.3 support DOS 3.3?  I have to switch for compatiblity
with TOPS, and I've heard some rather scary things about Minix and Dos 3.3..

Marc Runkel
aka The Jolly German Giant

UUCP   : {ames!elroy, <backbone>}!gryphon!pnet02!marcr
INET   : marcr@pnet02.cts.com
WWIVnet: 1@16 or The Jolly German Giant@16

woodman@sumax.UUCP (David Woodman) (03/31/89)

In article <13927@gryphon.COM>, marcr@pnet02.cts.com (Marc Runkel) writes:
> I've done something rather stupid. As in modifying my original disks
> accidentally so that I can no longer get into the system (I clobbered the
> passwd file).. Is there any way I can recover from this without getting a new
> Root File System disk?  Help please!

  When minix asks you to insert the /usr disk,
  I have found the killing the script will get you to root.
  On the PC/AT, the DEL key is what you want.
  On minix 1.3 you will not be able to use an editor
  until you set your TERM variable to minix.

 David Woodman		UUCP:    ...!uw-entropy!dataio!suvax1!sumax1!woodman
 Seattle University	USNail:  P.O. Box 23202, Seattle WA 98102
 woodman@sumax1		Phone:	 (206) 223-9470

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (04/01/89)

In article <433@sumax.UUCP>, woodman@sumax.UUCP (David Woodman) writes:

 >  When minix asks you to insert the /usr disk,
 >  I have found the killing the script will get you to root.
 >  On the PC/AT, the DEL key is what you want.
 >  On minix 1.3 you will not be able to use an editor
 >  until you set your TERM variable to minix.

Also, if you don't mount /usr (put in the /user disk instead, or something),
and you haven't put login in /bin, MINIX will be unable to exec
/usr/bin/login, and will drop into root.  I found this out by accident when I
had to reformat my hard disk (which I was using for /usr), and MINIX tried
(unsuccessfully) to mount /dev/hd2 as /usr (because it wasn't a MINIX
filesystem...).

--
Marc Unangst
UUCP          : mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us