[comp.os.minix] 1.3 Compress

jnall%FSU.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (John Nall 904-644-5241) (03/29/89)

jeff@questar.mn.org (Jeff Holmes) writes
  >P.S.  Did anyone have problems getting 1.3 compress to work?  It
  >compiled with a few incompatible pointer warnings, but gives
  >unexpected interrupt errors when run.

I can't help, but do have the same problem with compress.  I am running
version 1.4a, and 99.9% of it works fine.  However, compress does not
work (symptoms as Jeff states) and dosread/write does not work, claiming
the disk is not an MS-DOS disk (although it is).  I just use the 1.2
version of dosread/write, which works fine.  Compress I don't use, since
I can take care of that on the Sun before sticking it on Minix.

John Nall
(jnall@rai.fsu.edu)

hinton@netcom.UUCP (Greg Hinton) (03/30/89)

In article <11820@louie.udel.EDU> jnall%FSU.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (John Nall 904-644-5241) writes:
>jeff@questar.mn.org (Jeff Holmes) writes
>  >P.S.  Did anyone have problems getting 1.3 compress to work?
>
>I am running
>version 1.4a, and 99.9% of it works fine.  However, compress does not
>work (symptoms as Jeff states) and dosread/write does not work....

Just use the -i switch when compiling both compress.c & dosread.c.
That solved my troubles, anyway.
I haven't had problems like that with anything else, so I think
that those are the only two files needing -i.

--
Greg Hinton
{amdahl|sun}!dlb!netcom!hinton

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (04/01/89)

In article <369@netcom.UUCP> amdahl!dlb!netcom!hinton (Greg Hinton) writes:
>Just use the -i switch when compiling both compress.c & dosread.c.
>That solved my troubles, anyway.
>I haven't had problems like that with anything else, so I think
>that those are the only two files needing -i.

I have the following files compiled with -i.  I don't know if that is really
necessary for small data sets.

cdiff compress diff dosread ed kermit mined patch sed sh stevie

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)