[comp.os.minix] Minix 3.1 upgrade

paone@aramis.rutgers.edu (Phil Paone) (03/31/89)

Hi, I just recieve my upgrade for Minix to 1.3.  It seems to be for
the IBM, since I got it on 5 1/4 inch disks.  Unfortunatly, I opened
it assuming it was correct.

First question, are these IBM, or are all machine dependencies removed
from them? Secnond, if they are IBM, why did I get them?  I am a
regestered ST user.  Third, Prentic Hall says that once you open the
package you accept the software.  Is this true?  Am I stuck with
something that I may not be able to use because they were not labled?

			Thanks,
			Phil Paone
--
Phil Paone
attmail!ppaone

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (04/01/89)

In article <Mar.30.18.15.35.1989.8476@aramis.rutgers.edu> paone@aramis.rutgers.edu (Phil Paone) writes:

>Hi, I just recieve my upgrade for Minix to 1.3.  It seems to be for
>the IBM, since I got it on 5 1/4 inch disks.
It is.  MINIX-ST 1.1 is fairly close to MINIX-PC 1.3.  There is no upgrade for
the ST, and none is planned (Johan has some real work to do).  I think I have
said this about N! times already.

>Prentic Hall says that once you open the
>package you accept the software.  Is this true?
Hmmm.  Give them a call and tell them what happened.  There's at least a
fair chance they'll take it back (I hope).

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)