[comp.os.minix] Reading Minix diskettes on MSDOS

Michael_Dennis_Evenson@cup.portal.com (03/31/89)

First I would like to thank the donor for the MIN2DOS upload, But I'm
having trouble unwrapping it into a PKXARC compatible file. Where does
one obtain the 'sh' program mentioned in the line that says to:

      'sh file'?

I tried splitting the file apart with Wordstar and managed to get the UNPACK$$
program to compile and run, but the .arc file produced has CRC errors.

				HELP!

						Mike

swh@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) (04/03/89)

Re: MIN2DOS unwrapping problem

The MIN2DOS package I recently uploaded was "shar"ed using a Unix system,
and I was assuming that recipients of it would also be running on a Unix
system.  If this is not the case, I apologize.  Here's some more detailed
instructions:

Under Unix, execute the command:

	sh file

where "file" is the name you gave to the file you created to hold the
complete package.  The "sh" is simply the Bourne shell which will understand
how to unwrap the package (the package is just a Bourne shell script) and
create for you a binary file named "min2dos.arc".

If you are doing the unwrapping in a non-Unix environment, then edit the
package to create a file that begins with the line that says:

	begin 664 min2dos.arc

and ends with the line that says:

	end

There will be a completely blank line before the "end" line. The file will
contain exactly 1092 lines of ascii text.

Take this file and run it through the "uudecode" program, if you have it,
or else use the "unpack$$" program whose source was supplied with the package.
The result will also be a binary file named "min2dos.arc".

In either situation, you must then use a BINARY file transfer protocol to
download it to your MSDOS PC; I can't stress this enough as this seems to
be the biggest source of error of casual users of file transfer facilities.
After the download, the "min2dos.arc" file should be exactly 49,002 bytes
in length.

You can use ANY of the ARC-compatible de-archivers (PKXARC, ARCE, ARC) to
extract the files (for those in the know, there are no "squashed" files in
the archive).

If you have further problems please let me know.
--
---------------------
Steve Harrold			swh@hpsmtc1.hp.com

swh@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) (04/03/89)

Re: MIN2DOS unwrapping

An additional thought about unwrapping the MIN2DOS package.

When doing any editing of the package, please be sure that your editor
or word processor is running in pure ascii mode.  For Wordstar users, this
means you must open the file in "non-document" mode.

pshen@atrp.media.mit.edu (Paul Shen) (04/05/89)

In article <11680005@hpsmtc1.HP.COM> swh@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) writes:
>Re: MIN2DOS unwrapping problem
>
>The MIN2DOS package I recently uploaded was "shar"ed using a Unix system,
>and I was assuming that recipients of it would also be running on a Unix
>system.  If this is not the case, I apologize.  Here's some more detailed
Acturally, 'shar' and 'uudecode' have been ported to MSDOS. In general,
they are pd. They can be found in BBS's.

| Email:        pshen@atrp.media.mit.edu                |                   |
| Telephone:    (617) 253-0370                          |    Paul Shen      |
| Address:      MIT, E15-384C, Cambridge, Ma 02139      |                   |

hall@cod.NOSC.MIL (Robert R. Hall) (04/06/89)

In article <3691@mit-amt>, pshen@atrp.media.mit.edu (Paul Shen) writes:
> In article <11680005@hpsmtc1.HP.COM> swh@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) writes:
> >Re: MIN2DOS unwrapping problem
> >
> >The MIN2DOS package I recently uploaded was "shar"ed using a Unix system,
> >and I was assuming that recipients of it would also be running on a Unix
> >system.  If this is not the case, I apologize.  Here's some more detailed
> Acturally, 'shar' and 'uudecode' have been ported to MSDOS. In general,
> they are pd. They can be found in BBS's.

I kermit the news article into Minix and did the
     sh min2dos

It produced a usuable file, the problems I had was the unpack
procedure place a blank as the leading character to the file name
which I corrected with a
     mv ?min2dos.arc min2dos.arc

Also the word and line count did not match the given numbers
but the total bytes size did so I ignored them.  After doing
doswrite to move the file to my DOS partition PKXARC accepted
the file and extracted all file without any error messages

I also tried the Minix command
    uudecode min2dos

which went faster and as far as I can tell proceduced the
same archive file and without the leading blank in the file
name.