[comp.os.minix] Problem with Clam

jnall%FSU.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (John Nall 904-644-5241) (04/06/89)

Does anyone have the recently distributed Clam shell working yet under
MINIX?  I have a problem trying to get it up under Minix 1.4a.  When I
do a make, it churns for a few minutes and then spits out an error
message "/usr/bin/asld: can't open /usr/lib/libtermcap.a" and the make
has an error exit.

I looked at makefile, and it appears to be set up already for Minix.  I
note that CLIB = ltermcap -ldir has been uncommented already.

Any comments or suggestions humbly and gratefully accepted.

John Nall
(nall@nu.cs.fsu.edu  Arpa-Internet)
(jnall@rai.cc.fsu.edu  Bitnet)

wtoomey@gara.une.oz (Warren Toomey) (04/07/89)

In article <12426@louie.udel.EDU>,  (John Nall 904-644-5241) writes:
> Does anyone have the recently distributed Clam shell working yet under
> MINIX?  I have a problem trying to get it up under Minix 1.4a.  When I
> do a make, it churns for a few minutes and then spits out an error
> message "/usr/bin/asld: can't open /usr/lib/libtermcap.a" and the make

	Sorry about that - my system has both the termcap and directory
files separate from libc.a, so I have put a `-ltermcap -ldir' in the
makefile. If you have termcap in with libc.a, replace this with `-ldir'.
And also turn the DEBUG define off too - Clam tends to be very verbose
with debugging on.

While I'm on the subject, did the first official path to Clam get out ok?
Our link to the US (and on) was sick the day I posted, so it may not have
got out.

Any comments, ideas, bug fixes on Clam?!

					Cheers everyone,

						Warren Toomey
						(wtoomey@gara.une.oz)

arc1@ukc.ac.uk (A.R.Curtis) (04/07/89)

In article <12426@louie.udel.EDU> jnall%FSU.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (John Nall 904-644-5241) writes:
>Does anyone have the recently distributed Clam shell working yet under
>MINIX?  I have a problem trying to get it up under Minix 1.4a.  When I
>do a make, it churns for a few minutes and then spits out an error
>message "/usr/bin/asld: can't open /usr/lib/libtermcap.a" and the make
>has an error exit.
>
>I looked at makefile, and it appears to be set up already for Minix.  I
>note that CLIB = ltermcap -ldir has been uncommented already.
                ^^^^
that's >> -ltermcap << I take it...

>Any comments or suggestions humbly and gratefully accepted.

Perhaps libtermcap.a isn't readable, or in the wrong format,
corrupted etc. Perhaps it isn't even there for some reason.

For what it's worth I got clam up on an Orion Clipper, a sun 3/50
and even on our transputer system (a MEiKO).

hope that helps a little

Tony