[comp.os.minix] C User Journal/Group

jnall%FSU.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (John Nall 904-644-5241) (04/05/89)

Tom Poage (poage@sunny.ucdavis.edu) writes:
     >> of the disk.   I also think, but am not positive, they have MINIX
  >
  >  No they don't.  If they did, copyright infringement would be

  >  in effect.

Well, I'm not sure it would be copyright infringement, but certainly it
would be something illegal (or immoral, to say the least).  What I meant
to say is that I think you may be able to get MINIX through them, but of
course it would be purchased, and by arrangement with P-H.  I'm not sure
where I got they idea they were doing that, and as I get old the memory
is the second thing to go, but seems like I saw an ad saying that one could
purchase MINIX through there back in the 1.1 days.

p.s.  congrats on getting rid of the 730.  Not many people can claim to
be on a system with 6-bit characters any more!

John Nall

car@pte.UUCP (Chris Rende) (04/06/89)

In article <12289@louie.udel.EDU>, jnall%FSU.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (John Nall 904-644-5241) writes:
> Tom Poage (poage@sunny.ucdavis.edu) writes:
>   >> of the disk.   I also think, but am not positive, they have MINIX
>   >
>   >  No they don't.  If they did, copyright infringement would be
>   >  in effect.
>
> Well, I'm not sure it would be copyright infringement, but certainly it
> would be something illegal (or immoral, to say the least).  What I meant
> to say is that I think you may be able to get MINIX through them, but of
> course it would be purchased, and by arrangement with P-H.  I'm not sure
> where I got they idea they were doing that, and as I get old the memory
> is the second thing to go, but seems like I saw an ad saying that one could
> purchase MINIX through there back in the 1.1 days.

I have a copy of the April 1989 issue in front of me. Here is their address:
   The C Users Group
   2120 W. 25th Street, Suite B
   Lawrence, KS 66046

Here is an excerpt from the order form, reproduced as best as I can:

    :   :         :
    :   :         :
   282 ____ Quip and Graphics
   283 ____ FAFNIR
   284 ____ Portable 8080 Emulator
   Z04 ____ Minix Fixes (15.00)

This is the only reference to Minix that I see on the order form.

car.
--
Christopher A. Rende           Multics,DTSS,Unix,Shortwave,Scanners,StarTrek
uunet!edsews!{rphroy!}pte!car  Minix,PC/XT,Mac+,TRS-80 Model I: Buy Sell Trade

poage@sunny.ucdavis.edu (Tom Poage) (04/09/89)

In article <1035@pte.UUCP> car@pte.UUCP (Chris Rende) writes:
>Here is an excerpt from the order form, reproduced as best as I can:
>   Z04 ____ Minix Fixes (15.00)
                          ^^^^^

WOW!  An 80% discount over PH for full source!
What some vendors will do to undercut the other guy!

I think these are diffs. :-)  Tom.
--
Tom Poage, UCDMC Clinical Engineering, Sacto., CA
poage@sunny.ucdavis.edu