[comp.os.minix] Upgrading 1.2 -> 1.3a

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (03/22/89)

Okay, I've got d1.2-1.3.tar.Z from bugs.  However, I've got a slight problem.
It's about 885K long, and I've only got a 360K drive.  How do I transfer it
into Minix format?  Am I going to have to uncompress it under DOS, untar it
onto multiple floppies, and then read in EACH AND EVERY INDIVIDUAL FILE onto
my hard disk with dosread (which can't handle wildcards)?  I've tried linking
/dev/hd1 to /dev/at1 (for some reason, dosdir doesn't want to use /dev/fd? --
It insists on using /dev/at?), and then executing 'dosdir -l 1', but that only
got me an "Disk is not DOS 2.0 1.2MB or 360K" error (which is certainly
right!).  What do I do?  Will a 3.8MB Minix partition be big enough?

BTW, in an earlier article, someone asked for info on how to lay out the
disk.  I'd appreciate it if anyone with this info could please post it, or
send it to me, too.  Addresses are in my .signature.

--
Marc Unangst
UUCP          : mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us

paula@bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) (03/25/89)

In article <162.2427093E@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us> mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:
>Okay, I've got d1.2-1.3.tar.Z from bugs.  However, I've got a slight problem.
>It's about 885K long, and I've only got a 360K drive.  How do I transfer it
>into Minix format?  Am I going to have to uncompress it under DOS, untar it
>onto multiple floppies, and then read in EACH AND EVERY INDIVIDUAL FILE onto
>my hard disk with dosread (which can't handle wildcards)?

Here's how I did it.  I put stuff in tar files that were less than
360k bytes long and put the tar files on DOS floppies.  Then I applied
a trivial change to the 1.1 minix tar program so that it would
understand '-' as the archive name.  At that point it became possible
to move the files to a minix disk using dosread and tar in a pipeline.
I did all my upgrading and patching and stuff on my Sun before moving
everything to minix for compilation.  I decided not to try to do the
upgrade on minix itself because of nightmare visions involving 27-hour
runs that end up bombing because somebody didn't have enough stack!

You also asked if a 3.5M (or so) partition would be large enough.  A
'du' in my 1.3 sources directory on my Sun shows about 5.2Mb used.  I
took a quick look around and didn't see any extraneous files eating
up space, but I could have missed something.  I suspect you may need
to shuffle stuff off onto floppies in order to compile the whole thing.

Paul Allen

Paul L. Allen                       | pallen@atc.boeing.com
Boeing Advanced Technology Center   | ...!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!bcsaic!pallen

molenda@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Jason S. Molenda) (04/10/89)

I'm sure this question has been asked 10 gazillion times, but is there
an anonymous ftp site I can get the 1.2->1.3 diffs from?

Thanks

molenda@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu
or ..!rutgers!umn-cs!molenda