[comp.os.minix] v1.3 libc.a source

mjs@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (Mike Scheutzow) (04/06/89)

I wasn't too impressed with the malloc() supplied in the v1.2 of libc.a,
so I wrote my own.  While upgrading to v1.3 (using the P-H disks), I wanted
to check the new version to see if it is any better, but I don't see the
sources for libc anyplace.

I've looked at the assembly-code, and can tell that the routine has
changed, but I can't tell if its been "improved" or not.

Are the sources for libc.a available?  If so, I'd appreciate it if someone
would contact me so that I can get them.  I can't even successfully get an
index from the uucp servers, much less request a file.

Another thing I noticed is that the file sizes of the compiler passes are not
the same as v1.2 either.  The difference varies from 2 bytes to 2K.  Are they
really the same as v1.2 as AST has said many times?

Thanks,
Mike S.
att!cbnewsl!mjs
(201) 386-6664  9-5 edt

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (04/11/89)

In article <392@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> mjs@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (Mike Scheutzow) writes:
>While upgrading to v1.3 (using the P-H disks), I wanted
>to check the new version to see if it is any better, but I don't see the
>sources for libc anyplace.
The full 1.3 library sources should be on disk 5 of the upgrade kit, in the
file libsrc.a.Z (compressed archive).

>Another thing I noticed is that the file sizes of the compiler passes are not
>the same as v1.2 either.  The difference varies from 2 bytes to 2K.  Are they
>really the same as v1.2 as AST has said many times?
I have not touched the source, but I may conceivably have recompiled it using
a newer version of the library.  I really don't remember.  But I am sure that
I have not used a new source for cpp, cem, opt, cg, or asld.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)