[comp.os.minix] MINIX ?

Mahesh.Neelakanta@f3.n369.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mahesh Neelakanta) (03/30/89)

I would like to learn more about MINIX. Is there any way in which I
can get a copy of the OS? is it Shareware? I understand It can do Multitasking
an stuff. Can it Run MS-DOS programs in the background? Lots of questions,
Are there any answers?HELP!

                                                - Mahesh (a UNIX fan!)

--
Fidonet : Mahesh Neelakanta at Fidonet Node 1:369/2
Internet: Mahesh.Neelakanta@f3.n369.z1.FIDONET.ORG

muadib is a FREE gateway for mail between Usenet and FidoNet.
For info write to Root@muadib.FIDONET.ORG

"Gee Fido... I don't think we're in a DOS environment any more!"

vlstemen@uokmax.UUCP (Vincent Lyle Stemen) (04/11/89)

In article <215.2431FAC1@muadib.FIDONET.ORG> Mahesh.Neelakanta@f3.n369.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mahesh Neelakanta) writes:
>I would like to learn more about MINIX. Is there any way in which I
>can get a copy of the OS? is it Shareware? I hear it can do multitasking
>and stuff.

Minix is a well structured version 7 UNIX clone which comes with full source
code to the operating system.  "The name MINIX stands for mini-UNIX because
it is small enough that even a nonguru can understand how it works (Tanenbaum
p.13)."  It's origional purpose is a training system for those who wish to
learn to write operating systems.  Although originally small with a few bugs,
it is fully functional and growing rapidly via hackers from all over the
country as you have probably seen from this newsnet.
   The latest version (1.3) is available at Prentice-Hall for about $75.00
I believe, and it is my understanding that it has a UUCP package and many
of the bugs have been fixed.  If you get it, I HIGHLY recommend getting the
book, "Operating Systems Design and Implementation" by Andrew S. Tanenbaum.
The system is meant to accompany the book and Andy is the author of both.

>Can it Run MS-DOS programs in the background? Lots of questions,

I do not know of any DOS merges for MINIX yet.  In fact I've been wondering
myself if anybody is working on one.

--
--------
MSDOS --> Mutated Systems Distribution Of S...