[comp.os.minix] System call compatability

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (04/11/89)

How system call compatable is Minix with existing versions of unix?

Are there any plans to meet the SVID or Posix?

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey                        sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitnet
***  Just another Monkey Boy.          {backbone site|rutgers|uunet}!ukma!sean

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (04/12/89)

In article <11466@s.ms.uky.edu> sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
>How system call compatable is Minix with existing versions of unix?
>Are there any plans to meet the SVID or Posix?

V1.x is based on UNIX V7.  Those calls that are present are pretty much the
same as V7.  About 15% of the V7 calls are absent.  My intention is that V2.0
should be POSIX compatible.  SVID is out of the question.  I intend to start
on V2.0 when I finish rewriting my architecture book.  I am hoping to be done
with it in the vicinity of Sept.  How long V2.0 will take is unknown, but
help in converting libraries and commands/* is more than welcome and will speed
matters up considerably.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)