[comp.os.minix] Root passwd

carver@bsadrc.UUCP (Darrel R. Carver) (04/05/89)

I have just recently acquired a wyse PC.  It boots minix (1.1) fine,
however, Andy's book does not give the root passwd.  I would like to
build my minix partition on the hard disk and begin upgrading to
1.[234].  I guess I am just dense today.  Can someone either tell me
the root passwd, or tell me how to set the damn thing?

--
Darrel R Carver
uunet!bsadrc!carver

ncoverby@ndsuvax.UUCP (Glen Overby) (04/05/89)

In article <133@bsadrc.UUCP> carver@bsadrc.UUCP (Darrel R. Carver) writes:
>however, Andy's book does not give the root passwd.  I would like to

The root password is in the book allright!  See page 380.  The password for
'ast' is given on page 373.

Putting the passwords in the book but not in with the disks is a cute way to
convince you to buy the book.  I'm not going to spoil the fun by posting it!
--
                Glen Overby     <ncoverby@plains.nodak.edu>
        uunet!ndsuvax!ncoverby (UUCP)   ncoverby@ndsuvax (Bitnet)

wnp@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Wolf Paul) (04/05/89)

In article <133@bsadrc.UUCP> carver@bsadrc.UUCP (Darrel R. Carver) writes:
 >I have just recently acquired a wyse PC.  It boots minix (1.1) fine,
 >however, Andy's book does not give the root passwd.  I would like to
 >build my minix partition on the hard disk and begin upgrading to
 >1.[234].  I guess I am just dense today.  Can someone either tell me
 >the root passwd, or tell me how to set the damn thing?

The root password on MINIX as distributed is set to "geheim", which
is Dutch (as well as German) for "secret".

You set it the same way as on UNIX, log in as root, and type "passwd".
UUCP:   killer!wnp                    ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN: wnp@killer.dallas.tx.us       TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (04/05/89)

In article <133@bsadrc.UUCP> carver@bsadrc.UUCP (Darrel R. Carver) writes:
>I have just recently acquired a wyse PC.  It boots minix (1.1) fine,
>however, Andy's book does not give the root passwd.

It certainly does.  See section C.3.  It is even in italics.  Actually I
didn't have to tell you that it is in italics, but if I didn't tell you
something, my news system would reject this message because it would have
been shorter than the quoted text.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

jk0@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Jason Coughlin) (04/05/89)

From article <7767@killer.Dallas.TX.US>, by wnp@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Wolf Paul):

> The root password on MINIX as distributed is set to "geheim", which
> is Dutch (as well as German) for "secret".

	close, but no cigar, the password is "Geheim" with a CAPITAL g.  Try
a lower case and it won't let you in.  By the by, Andy DOES tell you the
root password (how couldn't he if you were going to re-compile the OS?)  I
don't rememeber the page # in the hard-cover book, but it's in the appendix
that describes "How to behave like a super-user".

--
Jason Coughlin
( jk0@sun.soe.clarkson.edu , jk0@clutx.bitnet )

jnall%FSU.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (John Nall 904-644-5241) (04/06/89)

Wolf N. Paul (wnp@killer.dallas.tx.us) states:
>> carver@bsadrc.UUCP writes:
>  [... deleted...]
>> Can someone tell me the root passwd...
 >
 >  The root password on MINIX .. is set to "geheim"...

No, it is set to Geheim.  Not the same.

John Nall

beattie@visenix.UUCP (Brian Beattie) (04/06/89)

In article <133@bsadrc.UUCP> carver@bsadrc.UUCP (Darrel R. Carver) writes:
>however, Andy's book does not give the root passwd.  I would like to
try Page 380 Section C.3 second paragraph, "Geheim" (note the capital G)

--
    _ANYONE_     | Brian Beattie          (703)471-7552
can sell software| 11525 Hickory Cluster, Reston, VA. 22090

Glen Overby <ncoverby@plains.novak.edu> writes:
>In article <133@bsadrc.UUCP> carver@bsadrc.UUCP (Darrel R. Carver) writes:
 >> however, Andy's book does not give the root passwd.  I would like to
>  Putting the passwords in the book but not in with the disks is a cute way
> to convince you to buy the book.  I'm not going to spoil the fun by
> posting it!

Yeah, I should have thought of that!  Being naive and innocent it never
entered my mind that anyone would have Minix by means other than legal.
So Glen is correct.  Mea culpa!

John Nall

allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (04/12/89)

As quoted from <7767@killer.Dallas.TX.US> by wnp@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Wolf Paul):
+---------------
| In article <133@bsadrc.UUCP> carver@bsadrc.UUCP (Darrel R. Carver) writes:
|  >however, Andy's book does not give the root passwd.  I would like to
|
| You set it the same way as on UNIX, log in as root, and type "passwd".

Remember to copy the RAM disk out to the root filesystem floppy after
changing *any* password, or your changes will be lost when you reboot.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@ncoast.org
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu