[comp.os.minix] Prentice-Hall too kind

mj@myrias.UUCP (Michal Jaegermann) (04/13/89)

Now I understand a poster who complained that Minix upgrade disks do not
fit his computer.  Just got from P-H an absolutely unsolicited upgrade
to version 1.3.  My only problem is that I do not have IBM-PC and
originally bought an ST version.  It looks like P-H considers all
computers to be the same.  Any way to stop these guys?

Michal Jaegermann
MRC, Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA
...{ncc,alberta}!myrias!mj

stailey@iris613.gsfc.nasa.gov (Ken Stailey) (04/13/89)

In article <1053@myrias.UUCP> mj@myrias.UUCP (Michal Jaegermann) writes:
>Now I understand a poster who complained that Minix upgrade disks do not
>fit his computer.  Just got from P-H an absolutely unsolicited upgrade
>to version 1.3.  My only problem is that I do not have IBM-PC and
>originally bought an ST version.  It looks like P-H considers all
>computers to be the same.  Any way to stop these guys?

This has happened to a lot of ST owners.  I think that mine has just arrived
at the post office.  I know it's not compatible but it does contain amoeba
sources.  I want to look at mine before I return it, so I got the MIN2DOS.ARC

*========================================================================*
{  what opinions?!? what disclaimer !?!?!		 ken@all.over.the.place  }
*========================================================================*

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (04/13/89)

In article <1053@myrias.UUCP> mj@myrias.UUCP (Michal Jaegermann) writes:
>Just got from P-H an absolutely unsolicited upgrade
>to version 1.3.  My only problem is that I do not have IBM-PC and
>originally bought an ST version.

There was a registration card in 1.2 where you could check a box saying
you wanted all the upgrades for $29.95.  I presume you checked it and
they indeed don't know the difference.  I at least hope they kept the
two piles of registration cards in different files.  I'll check this out.
One would think that even a moderately intelligent person would know
that software for one computer does not necessarily work on another, like
tires for one car do not necessarily fit another car.  One would apparently
be wrong.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)