[comp.os.minix] missing files in v1.3 upgrade?

dpointer@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (David B. Pointer) (04/13/89)

After much uncompressing and archive extracting of the P-H v1.3 upgrade
kit, I am unable to find the following usr/include/ files:

         usr/include/sys/dir.h
         usr/include/sys/timeb.h
         usr/include/sys/times.h
         usr/include/sys/types.h

They are definitely not in the include/include.a.Z file on disk 1 of
the distribution diskettes that I received, and I am unable to find
them anywhere else in the distribution.  I did get them from bugs.nosc.mil,
however.

This brings to mind a few questions:

  1. Are these files supposed to be in the v1.3 upgrade kit?

  2. Are these files really in the v1.3 upgrade kit and I'm not looking
     in the right place?

Thanks for any sharing any answers that you may have.

*dave

  David Pointer                   Center for Supercomuting R&D
  dpointer@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu   305 Talbot Lab  104 S. Wright St.
  (217) 244-6392                  Urbana, IL  61801
David Pointer                         CSRD
dpointer@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu         305 Talbot Lab
(217) 244-6392                        104 S. Wright St.
                                      Urbana, IL  61801

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (04/13/89)

In article <784@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu> dpointer@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (David B. Pointer) writes:
>After much uncompressing and archive extracting of the P-H v1.3 upgrade
>kit, I am unable to find the following usr/include/ files:
>
>         usr/include/sys/dir.h
>         usr/include/sys/timeb.h
>         usr/include/sys/times.h
>         usr/include/sys/types.h

They don't appear to be on my Sun workstation either.  I think the image
I have on the Sun is exactly what is on the full V1.3 distribution, so
they apparently are not in V1.3 at all.  Deciding what went in and what
didn't was somewhat arbitrary.  I hope they are not needed :-)

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

in article <784@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu>, dpointer@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (David B. Pointer) says:
$
[...]

Same thing on my set of diskettes. I ended up ftping the diff set
from vm1.nodak.edu and finding the /usr/include/sys files.

John H. Lawitzke           UUCP: Work: ...rutgers!mailrus!frith!jhl
Dale Computer Corp., R&D               ...decvax!purdue!mailrus!frith!jhl
2367 Science Parkway                   ...uunet!frith!jhl
Okemos, MI, 48864                Home: ...uunet!frith!ipecac!jhl

hall@cod.NOSC.MIL (Robert R. Hall) (04/14/89)

In article <2297@ast.cs.vu.nl>, ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
> In article <784@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu> dpointer@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (David B. Pointer) writes:
> >kit, I am unable to find the following usr/include/ files:
> >         usr/include/sys/dir.h
> >         usr/include/sys/timeb.h
> >         usr/include/sys/times.h
> >         usr/include/sys/types.h
> I hope they are not needed :-)
>
> Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

Yes they are used.
   sys/dir.h used in: /lib/getcwd.c lib/ttyname.c commands/atrun.c
       commands/pwd commands/rm commands/rmdir commands/tar commands/traverse
  sys/times.h used in: lib/times commands/time.c
  sys/types.h used in: lib/ttyname.c commands/chown commands/compress
       commands/dp commands/cpdir commands/df commands/du commands/find
       commands/help commands/ln commands/ls commands/mkfs commands/more
       commands/pwd commands/rm