[comp.os.minix] Pascal compiler?

FORCHK%HLERUL53.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Jan Joris Vereijken, +31 71 175429) (05/01/89)

Hi,

Does there exist a Pascal compiler for use under minix? (I use ST Minix 1.1).

                                                Jan Joris Vereijken
                                                The Netherlands
                                                forchk@hlerul53.bitnet

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (05/02/89)

In article <14391@louie.udel.EDU> FORCHK%HLERUL53.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Jan Joris Vereijken, +31 71 175429) writes:
>Does there exist a Pascal compiler for use under minix? (I use ST Minix 1.1).
There is a Pascal compiler for the IBM PC from UniPress and Transmediair.
That includes the source, but you'd have to adapt it to the 68000.
Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

tnsgvdp@dutrun.UUCP (Ronald van der Pol) (05/03/89)

In article <2436@ast.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
>There is a Pascal compiler for the IBM PC from UniPress and Transmediair.
>That includes the source, but you'd have to adapt it to the 68000.
>Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

I thought this compiler is based on the ACK and as far as I know one
only has to change the back-end once for different cpu's and then one
can use any ACK front-end without any changes. Or is the ACK setup not
that nice?

  Ronald van der Pol
DOMAIN:   tnsgvdp@dutrun.uucp
UUCP:     ...uunet!mcvax!hp4nl!dutrun!tnsgvdp

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (05/05/89)

In article <714@dutrun.UUCP> tnsgvdp@dutrun.UUCP (R.van der Pol) writes:
>I thought this compiler is based on the ACK and as far as I know one
>only has to change the back-end once for different cpu's and then one
>can use any ACK front-end without any changes. Or is the ACK setup not
>that nice?
It is, but the compilers from UniPress & Transmediair are not the full ACK.
In theory, I could have generated a Pascal compiler from ACK for the
68000 and thus eliminated all the work.  Unfortunately, I just don't
have the time.  (Libraries, a.out formats, etc. all have to be looked at).
Sorry.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)