[comp.os.minix] ST diffs vs. PC diffs

FORCHK%HLERUL53.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Jan Joris Vereijken, +31 71 175429) (04/29/89)

Hi,

Last nigth I dreamed that the v1.1 to v1.2 and the v1.2 to v1.3 diffs on
the NDSUVM1 server on BITNET could be used for both the ST and the PC
Minix 1.1. However, now I've waken up... I knew Minix is great, but is
it really *that* great? Well, let me know!

                                        Jan Joris Vereijken
                                        Leiden University
                                        The Netherlands
                                        forchk@hlerul53.bitnet
                                        ...!mcvax!neabbs!janjoris.uucp

Disclaimer : I once dreamed my old ZX81 could run Minix...

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (04/29/89)

In article <14255@louie.udel.EDU>, FORCHK%HLERUL53.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Jan Joris Vereijken) writes:

 >Hi,
 >
 >Last nigth I dreamed that the v1.1 to v1.2 and the v1.2 to v1.3 diffs on
 >the NDSUVM1 server on BITNET could be used for both the ST and the PC
 >Minix 1.1. However, now I've waken up... I knew Minix is great, but is
 >it really *that* great? Well, let me know!

No, the IBM diffs will not work on ST MINIX.  However, this is not caused
by an incompatability so much as the fact that ST MINIX is fairly close
to IBM MINIX 1.3, making the patches pointless.  If you're offering to make
ST MINIX exactly like IBM MINIX 1.3, though, I'm sure that no one will
object...

--
Marc Unangst
UUCP smart    : mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us

mboen@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) (05/02/89)

Hi,

after reading your article I thought: 'Why would he want to apply the
patches for bringing MINIX-PC up to V1.3 on MINIX-ST.' After all, every-
one here always says, that MINIX-ST V1.1 is, in fact, supposed to be
ALMOST MINIX-PC V1.3, so what really needs to be done is to bring MINIX-ST
up to V1.4 of MINIX-PC (which would then probably be V1.2 of MINIX-ST).

I thought MINIX was great, too. I still think so! I do have my problems
with it though. That's another article, however.

Martin:

--

Email:

Europeans use this address:
...!unido!nixpbe!mboening.pad

Everybody else should use this address:
...!uunet!philabs!linus!nixbur!mboening.pad
--
Email: in the   USA ->  ...!uunet!philabs!linus!nixbur!mboening.pad
       outside  USA ->  {...!mcvax}!unido!nixpbe!mboening.pad

ronald@ibmpcug.UUCP (Ronald Khoo) (05/07/89)

In article <282@nixpbe.UUCP> mboen@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) writes:
>                      so what really needs to be done is to bring MINIX-ST
>up to V1.4 of MINIX-PC (which would then probably be V1.2 of MINIX-ST).

why not just call it V1.4 of MINIX-ST (missing out 1.2 and 1.3) altogether
to stop this discussion happening again when the next minix release gets
out?

Oh I see, then there would be the senseless discussion of
	"whatever happened to V1.2 and 1.3 ??"

Oh well, y'can't win!
--
Ronald Khoo @ The IBM PC User Group, PO Box 360, Harrow HA1 4LQ