[comp.os.minix] Apple ][ Minix

rat@madnix.UUCP (David Douthitt) (04/28/89)

*FLAME ON*

I'm saddened to see that we have such snobbery going on around here.
Obviously, some people here are closed minded and refuse to believe thaat
anything that doesn't say IBM is worth a hill of beans (which is surprising,
considering ST support).

Since I've heard so much about the SIXTEENBIT 80286, how about using the
SIXTEENBIT 65816??  HMMMMMMM??  Obviously, people here can't even take a
challenge.

Makes me wonder why I even bother reading this group.

*FLAME OFF*

	[david]

--
!======= David Douthitt :::: Madison, WI =======!== The Stainless Steel Rat ==!
!  ArpaNet: madnix!rat@cs.wisc.edu              !                             !

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (05/05/89)

I have no qualms with seeing a 65816 Minix (ala Apple //gs) but on a stock
Apple with a 6502 and a 64k address space makes it impossible.  The 1.2 PC
kernel is 89K after it's booted, and you need a ramdisk for the root file
system, so that's just 360K of RAM just to start up (roughly).  And I
personally wouldn't try it on any processor unless it supported at least 1 MB
of addressible memory intrinsicly.  I have seen 6502 machines with up 1 MB
address space, but these were hardware hacks, nothing standard.

 JCA

UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
ARPA: crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil
INET: jca@pnet01.cts.com

In article <4155@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>I have no qualms with seeing a 65816 Minix (ala Apple //gs) but on a stock
>Apple with a 6502 and a 64k address space makes it impossible.  The 1.2 PC
>kernel is 89K after it's booted, and you need a ramdisk for the root file
>system, so that's just 360K of RAM just to start up...

On the other hand, Mini-UNIX (a cut-down V6 Unix) ran happily, if not too
quickly, in 56KB on small pdp11s, and there was at least one further-cut
variant that could run in still less.  "Run" here means things like "cc",
mind you, not just "echo". :-)  So it's not inherently impossible, unless
6502 code density is really dreadful (which it might be, given what a
horror that CPU is), if you're willing to work hard and do without the
ramdisk.  Difficult, yes...

(I remember a Mini-UNIX system on a 56KB LSI-11 with a small, slow hard
disk supporting several students programming in a database class.  I also
remember a Mini-UNIX that swapped on 8-inch floppies.  Mind you, neither
was fast, and I'm glad *I* didn't have to use either...)
--
Mars in 1980s:  USSR, 2 tries, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
2 failures; USA, 0 tries.      | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

jdeitch@pnet01.cts.com (Jim Deitch) (05/08/89)

henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <4155@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>>I have no qualms with seeing a 65816 Minix (ala Apple //gs) but on a stock
>>Apple with a 6502 and a 64k address space makes it impossible.  The 1.2 PC
>>kernel is 89K after it's booted, and you need a ramdisk for the root file
>>system, so that's just 360K of RAM just to start up...
>
>On the other hand, Mini-UNIX (a cut-down V6 Unix) ran happily, if not too
>quickly, in 56KB on small pdp11s, and there was at least one further-cut
>variant that could run in still less.  "Run" here means things like "cc",
>mind you, not just "echo". :-)  So it's not inherently impossible, unless
>6502 code density is really dreadful (which it might be, given what a
>horror that CPU is), if you're willing to work hard and do without the
>ramdisk.  Difficult, yes...
>
>(I remember a Mini-UNIX system on a 56KB LSI-11 with a small, slow hard
>disk supporting several students programming in a database class.  I also
>remember a Mini-UNIX that swapped on 8-inch floppies.  Mind you, neither
>was fast, and I'm glad *I* didn't have to use either...)

Or how about OS-9?  It ran on a 64k Radio Shack Color Computer, with
multi-user and multi-tasking.  I ran it on a hard disk so it wasn't to bad in
the multi-user mode.

It had a C compiler, and a couple of other niceties, like a seperate execution
directory and data directory.

Jim

UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jdeitch
ARPA: crash!pnet01!jdeitch@nosc.mil
INET: jdeitch@pnet01.cts.com